New York has made such an impression on the world, there’s little question that it deserves the nickname “microcosm of the universe”! Nevertheless, a vacation spot of such magnitude begs the query of the place to remain when visiting.
I’ve lived in New York since 2015 and might’t think about residing wherever else. I’m typically informed by vacationers that visiting New York is a dream trip for them. I’m naturally biased, however I genuinely consider New York is the best metropolis on the planet and need for each customer to this metropolis to suppose the identical.
On this article, I’ll share my high issues to do in New York in addition to spotlight the perfect locations to remain in The Large Apple. Whereas many individuals decide to spend only a weekend, I like to recommend staying 5-7 days should you can. With 5 boroughs to discover and plenty of thrilling neighborhoods to get to know, I counsel staying for longer if time permits.
Finest Areas to Keep in New York
Fast Look: Finest Areas to Keep in New York
Theater District: Finest Place to Keep in New York for Your First Time
If you happen to’re a first-time customer to New York, likelihood is you’re coming to take pleasure in the preferred vacationer sights together with Instances Sq., Rockefeller Middle, and Radio Metropolis Music Corridor. You may additionally be fascinated by trying out a Broadway present or making an attempt out some iconic New York meals.
The Theater District is the perfect neighborhood in New York if these are your objectives, and can be my high suggestion for the place to remain in New York’s metropolis middle total.
The subway station at Instances Sq. is the most important station in all the community, but when public transit isn’t your cup of tea, taxis are additionally simple to seek out on this space. If you happen to’re in search of locations to remain in New York for teams, the proximity to the Instances Sq. subway station is advantageous and makes for a terrific, central assembly level.
The Theater District is amongst the liveliest neighborhoods in New York. If you happen to’ve ever questioned why New York is named “town that by no means sleeps”, you’re positive to seek out out by staying right here.
Finest Locations to Keep within the Theater District
The Theater District is without doubt one of the finest locations to remain in New York’s middle, however as a result of tourist-heavy clientele, the costs within the space are excessive. That being mentioned, if it’s your first time in New York, and also you’re in a position to, don’t be shy to splurge somewhat!
1. Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park: The situation of this lodge is excellent and also you’ll be grateful you’re not instantly adjoining to Instances Sq.. Rooms comprise a fridge and a piece desk for these seeking to get some work accomplished throughout their journey.
2. Laborious Rock Resort New York: A 5-star lodge, the Laborious Rock is well-established amongst lodge chains. This location close to Instances Sq. contains breakfast with all kinds of choices.
3. Margaritaville Resort Instances Sq.: The workers speaks all kinds of languages and rooms embrace a desk and secure. The resort additionally options an out of doors swimming pool which is a refreshing strategy to begin a day of exploring.
5 High Issues To Do within the Theater District
1. Instances Sq.: This one wants no introduction – is there any first-time customer who hasn’t gone to Instances Sq.?
2. Rockefeller Christmas Tree: Arrange for viewing between late November and early January, the Rockerfeller Christmas Tree is amongst probably the most iconic treasures of New York and is a must-see if visiting across the vacation interval.
3. Museum of Trendy Artwork (MOMA): One other first-time customer favourite, the Museum of Trendy Artwork is centrally situated.
4. Radio Metropolis Music Corridor: Catch the Rockettes at Radio Metropolis Music Corridor and expertise this basic New York sensation.
5. Madame Tussauds: On the south finish of the Theater District, the Madame Tussauds wax museum enables you to meet all of the New York celebrities you could possibly ever want to see (don’t depend on getting any signatures although!).
The place to Eat and Drink within the Theater District
The Theater District gives all the things a first-time customer wants when contemplating the place to remain in New York, and foods and drinks are not any exception because of the various decisions within the space.
1. The Counter: A private favourite of mine, The Counter is a connoisseur hamburger store. They supply vegetarian and vegan choices along with normal burger fare. Beer and wine are served.
2. Flûte Champagne Bar: One other private favourite of mine, this venue is a (you guessed it) champagne bar with a terrific cocktail menu as properly. An ideal spot to take pleasure in a romantic night and 2-for-1 comfortable hour specials on Tuesdays make this bar among the best.
3. 99 Cent Contemporary Pizza: The rumors are true, it is potential to get pizza for $1 in New York! Most of the “greenback pizza” outlets (as they’re so-called) are of questionable high quality, however this place gives constant high quality for the value. Your pockets will thanks later!
East Village: Finest Space in New York Metropolis for Nightlife
I’ve traveled the world to expertise nightlife and I firmly consider that NYC has the perfect nightlife on the planet. A part of the rationale I say that’s as a result of nice variety of nightlife on supply.
Whether or not you fancy nightclubs with $18 drinks, grungy dive bars with $5 beers, or jazz bars internet hosting among the finest musicians on the planet, New York is certain to set the scene in your ultimate evening out.
If you happen to’re in search of closely touristed nightclubs with lengthy traces, head to the Meatpacking District. Nevertheless, if you wish to keep away from the lengthy traces and hassles of those crowded venues, the East Village is certainly the perfect place to remain in New York for nightlife.
Bars are unpretentious and drinks are moderately priced in comparison with many different areas of Manhattan.
Finest Locations to Keep in East Village
Since vacationers often don’t keep within the East Village, lodging right here supply nice worth for the cash when in search of the place to remain in New York. It’s a great place to remain should you’re seeking to base your self someplace somewhat quieter that’s nonetheless near native nightlife.
1. Normal Resort: The Normal options an excellent on-site restaurant and bar, designer toiletries for company, and a bathrobe.
2. 211-3 Prime Union Sq. Massive 1BR: For many who favor to lease residences, this lodging is in a terrific location.
3. The Bowery Resort: The Bowery Resort options floor-to-ceiling home windows in each room and complimentary bike leases. Good for these fascinated by biking throughout one of many bridges.
5 High Issues To Do in East Village
The East Village is primarily a neighborhood for nightlife. Listed below are some issues to do when you’re on this neighborhood:
1. Russian & Turkish Baths: Particularly enjoyable should you’re visiting throughout colder months, these baths supply a spa expertise in scorching tubs.
2. Webster Corridor: The oldest fashionable nightclub on the planet. Stay music is plentiful and an total nice time is assured right here.
3. Eat Road Meals: Road meals may be discovered throughout New York, and anybody who’s out having fun with nightlife until late is aware of that road meals is a compulsory ending to the night.
4. Union Sq. Greenmarket: A farmers market working on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, this can be a nice alternative to assist native companies from the New York Metro space.
5. Watch a Burlesque Present: If you happen to’re coming to benefit from the nightlife of town that by no means sleeps, why not strive one thing somewhat off the overwhelmed path? Some bars, resembling Slipper Room, are enjoyable stops to change up your common evening out.
The place to Eat and Drink in East Village
Because the East Village is primarily a base for nightlife in New York, it’s not precisely a foodie scorching spot. Nevertheless, there are some hole-in-the-wall locations which are common amongst New Yorkers, and some unbelievable bars price that includes.
1. Punjabi Deli: A hidden gem in Manhattan, that serves tremendous genuine eats. Don’t count on a flowery surroundings (it’s a deli, in any case), however do count on unbelievable meals.
2. The Belfry: Finest identified for its unique pickleback flavors, The Belfy is a favourite amongst New Yorkers for its pleasant workers and social environment.
3. Magnificence Bar: This spot is a crowd favourite amongst New Yorkers. Earlier within the night, you may get your nails accomplished whereas having fun with some drinks, and in a while, dance away to 90’s dance music till 4 am!
Williamsburg: Coolest Place to Keep in New York
Because of its hipster vibe, Williamsburg might be the best place amongst New York neighborhoods. Artists are unfold between Williamsburg and Bushwick, so in case you are fascinated by trying out unbiased creators, these are nice places to go look.
Williamsburg has quite a lot of espresso outlets, bars, and eating places. Locals preferring the Brooklyn vibe over Manhattan will incessantly go to Williamsburg. If you happen to’re making an attempt to determine the place to remain in New York with parking, you’ll doubtless have higher luck in Brooklyn than in Manhattan as properly.
Lastly, should you’re fascinated by snapping nice pictures of the Manhattan skyline, you need to be exterior of Manhattan! A lot like Lengthy Island Metropolis, Williamsburg is a superb place to get these photographs.
Finest Locations to Keep in Williamsburg
Regardless of Williamsburg being a preferred place to remain in New York, costs are somewhat extra inexpensive right here than costs within the Theater District or elsewhere in Midtown.
1. Pod Brooklyn: Pod Brooklyn incorporates a lovely courtyard and a lounge house for company who could also be making an attempt to get work accomplished. The breakfast serves worldwide delicacies.
2. Penny Williamsburg: Providing complimentary bikes, this can be a excellent location for company who want to bike the Williamsburg Bridge. Some rooms embrace a kitchenette with a fridge and microwave as properly.
3. Athenas Domus1: For company who would favor to remain in an residence, the 2-bedroom Athenas Domus1 has an 8.8 score on Reserving.com and is right for these in search of somewhat more room.
5 High Issues To Do in Williamsburg
Williamsburg has a superb mixture of indoor and outside actions with out the crowds that include Manhattan. I’ve highlighted some nice outside actions to strive in Williamsburg under:
1. Bike the Williamsburg Bridge: A preferred exercise for locals and vacationers alike, the various bridges connecting Manhattan to Brooklyn are a terrific alternative to get some train (and pictures).
2. McCarren Park: Central Park tends to be somewhat too busy for some (myself included), and the parks in Brooklyn supply some reduction from the crowds. McCarren Park in Williamsburg is smaller than Central Park and offers guests with a slice of greenery and tranquility within the metropolis.
3. Smorgasburg: A mixture of “Smorgasborg” and “Williamsburg”, Smorgasburg is an open-air meals market that happens on Saturdays in Williamsburg. It’s an superior alternative for the foodies.
4. Take the Ferry: If you happen to’re staying in Williamsburg, you may take the identical ferry that runs out of Lengthy Island Metropolis for some excellent photos of Manhattan from the river. Be certain that to get a seat on the highest deck!
5. Barcade: If you happen to’re in search of a quick break from the hustle and bustle of New York streets, Barcade is an arcade-style bar. Include a few associates for a good time.
The place to Eat and Drink in Williamsburg
Williamsburg is a scorching spot for nightlife in New York with a vibe that’s completely distinct from Manhattan, (and even the East Village which is a mere 1 cease away on the L practice).
1. Alligator Lounge: Skee ball, karaoke, and maybe most significantly of all: a free private pizza with each drink… Alligator Lounge gives one thing for everybody.
2. Night time of Pleasure: A cocktail bar in Williamsburg, this ‘joyous’ spot has an superior cocktail menu with a rooftop in addition.
3. Home of Sure: One of the vital well-known golf equipment in New York, Home of Sure is an area of expression, connection, and creativity. Costumes are extremely inspired.
Higher West Aspect: Finest for Households
The Higher West Aspect is well the perfect space to remain in New York for households and is a well-liked neighborhood for locals who’ve youngsters. It’s somewhat slower-paced than different components of Manhattan whereas nonetheless providing all of the conveniences a vacationer would need. The result’s that you simply’ll really feel fairly at house strolling round along with your children and even with strollers.
The Higher West Aspect is conveniently situated on the 1-2-3 subway traces which run the entire West Aspect. This implies you’re in a position to go to main vacationer sights from the American Museum of Pure Historical past to Central Park to the World Commerce Middle with out having to switch subway traces.
In reality, in case you are in search of a cultural expertise to take pleasure in with your loved ones, Lincoln Middle is situated within the Higher West Aspect, and Carnegie Corridor is situated only a stone’s throw farther downtown into Midtown West. Each venues have frequent performances in classical music, opera, and ballet, amongst a variety of different genres.
Finest Locations to Keep within the Higher West Aspect
The Higher West Aspect gives lodging which are nice for households touring with children. Listed below are some choose choices:
1. Resort Lucerne: This lodge is a mere 500 ft from the 1 practice, and 1,000 ft from the American Museum of Pure Historical past. True to the Higher West Aspect family-oriented nature, this lodge additionally gives childcare companies.
2. Resort Beacon: If you happen to’re touring with children and want some kitchenette services, Resort Beacon is a superb alternative. There’s additionally a enterprise middle should you’re making an attempt to get via some work throughout your keep.
3. Superbly Furnished 1BR Central Park West: If you happen to favor staying in an residence, this feature includes a totally geared up kitchen. It’s additionally inside strolling distance from Central Park.
5 High Issues To Do within the Higher West Aspect
The Higher West Aspect has some actually distinctive experiences, all of that are child pleasant!
1. Central Park Bike Rides: If the climate is good, I strongly suggest renting bikes to journey round Central Park. Distributors may be discovered simply in and across the Central Park entrances.
2. Lincoln Middle: A cultural icon of New York, Lincoln Middle hosts performances throughout myriad genres. Remember to put on applicable clothes (keep away from sweats and cut-off pants).
3. American Museum of Pure Historical past: Dinosaurs, geology, marine biology – you identify it! Convey the youngsters for an academic deal with.
4. The Cloisters on the Met: If you happen to’re keen to take the A practice all the way in which as much as the top of the road, you’ll discover a lovely backyard main as much as the Cloisters. Missed by the vast majority of vacationers, I’ve personally taken a dozen visiting family and friends to this unbelievable museum. Due to the gap from midtown Manhattan, it’s a superb alternative should you’re in search of some peace and quiet that cities usually don’t supply.
5. Riverside Park: Want a break from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan? Take a stroll in Riverside Park. Far much less crowded than Central Park, and also you’ll have a terrific probability to calm down.
The place to Eat and Drink within the Higher West Aspect
The Higher West Aspect isn’t identified for its meals, however that’s to not imply there aren’t some unbelievable eating places to be discovered right here:
1. Spaghetti Tavern: True to its identify, this spot serves all method of spaghetti. Nice for the youngsters!
2. Chapati Home: Come right here for informal Indian meals at nice costs. A must-visit for street-style Indian meals within the Higher West Aspect.
3. Awash Ethiopian Restaurant: Unbelievable Ethiopian meals within the Higher West Aspect. If you happen to’ve by no means tried Ethiopian delicacies earlier than, this can be a excellent spot to start out.
Lengthy Island Metropolis: Finest Place in New York on a Price range
Whereas unusual for vacationers to remain in Queens, it’s the precise motive why it’s significantly extra budget-friendly for these looking for a keep on this world-class metropolis with out spending some huge cash.
You’ll positively discover low-cost locations to remain in New York right here. In reality, I personally reside in Queens to keep away from the plenty of crowds in Manhattan (and corresponding costs) whereas nonetheless reaping all the advantages of residing in New York.
Lengthy Island Metropolis (identified by locals as LIC) is in Western Queens, which nonetheless offers handy entry to straightforward vacationer sights in Manhattan should you’re keen to spend somewhat additional time on the subway to succeed in them.
Lengthy Island Metropolis is a superb combination of homely residential and foodie heaven. The Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront has unbelievable photos of the Manhattan skyline and gives myriad bars and eating places to take pleasure in as properly. In reality, my fiancée and I did our engagement shoot on the Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront.
Finest Locations to Keep in Lengthy Island Metropolis
In case your high precedence when looking for a spot to remain in New York is to stay to a funds, Lengthy Island Metropolis is a superb possibility. I’ve highlighted a couple of cheap lodging right here:
1. The Native NY: As a giant solo traveler, I like staying in hostels, and The Native NY is a superb possibility. This hostel features a frequent kitchen and a bar on-site to fulfill different vacationers within the hostel.
2. Aloft Lengthy Island Metropolis: For these seeking to stick with sure loyalty applications, the Aloft gives snug stays at affordable costs.
3. Large Bed room Residence with Free Parking: If you happen to favor an residence, this feature is near the Courtroom Sq. subway station and even gives free parking!
5 High Issues To Do in Lengthy Island Metropolis
The draw back to staying in Manhattan is that you simply don’t get any views of the Manhattan skyline. As Lengthy Island Metropolis is on the western fringe of Queens, staying right here means you’ll get the perfect photographs of the well-known New York silhouette.
1. Benefit from the Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront: The Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront is a scorching spot for excellent eating places and bars. When the climate is good, picnic right here with a bottle of wine. It’ll be far much less crowded right here than in additional common vacationer locales resembling Central Park. Despite the fact that I reside right here, I nonetheless like to stroll alongside the water to seize beautiful photos of Manhattan.
2. Take the Ferry: Often, the Ferry prices your normal Metrocard fare and you’ll seize some superior photos of Manhattan’s skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge for a similar fare as a subway journey. There are 2 stops alongside the Lengthy Island Metropolis waterfront. Williamsburg and Lengthy Island Metropolis are positively the perfect neighborhoods in New York for the Manhattan views.
3. Misplaced in Paradise Rooftop: This rooftop cocktail bar gives beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline. Come take a look at Misplaced in Paradise at evening to see town that by no means sleeps in lights.
4. Bike the Queensboro Bridge: One in every of New York’s many bridges, the Queensboro Bridge connects Manhattan and Queens. Discover a bike rental company to bike throughout and see town from a unique perspective.
5. Rock Climbing at The Cliffs: It’s simple for many who reside close to nationwide parks to take pleasure in these types of outside actions, however for many who reside in cities, there are fortunately climbing gyms. To take a look at one in all New York’s hottest climbing gyms, check out The Cliffs.
The place to Eat and Drink in Lengthy Island Metropolis
Lengthy Island Metropolis has exploded within the final 15 years, and the hospitality scene has grown with it. Listed below are a few of my private favorites:
1. Dutch Kills: This cocktail bar is sought out by many New Yorkers. In reality, it was rated as having the #1 Previous Common in New York. You’ll should strive for your self…
2. Ooi: This Japanese restaurant serves excellent sushi and has a full bar that’s house to all kinds of sake picks.
3. Tikka Masala: An Indian restaurant in LIC with hard-to-find Indian dishes, Tikka Masala is a BYOB which implies you take pleasure in a night whereas staying on a funds.
4. Levante: For connoisseur pizza, check out Levante, which additionally gives a number of unique negroni flavors.
FAQs In regards to the Finest Areas to Keep in New York
Listed below are solutions to some generally requested questions on the place to remain in New York:
When it comes to vacationer sights, the perfect space in New York for vacationers is Instances Sq.. It’s probably the most central location for entry to the subways and is indisputably one of the vital iconic places in New York.
As a vacationer, there aren’t any causes to remain within the Bronx, Staten Island, or near JFK Airport (except you might be staying in a single day for an early flight). Vacationers who keep in these places are doubtless making an attempt to economize. If you happen to’re touring on a funds, you’re much better off staying in Western Queens in neighborhoods resembling Astoria or Lengthy Island Metropolis.
New York is total a really secure metropolis and the entire neighborhoods listed on this article can be thought of secure neighborhoods in New York. So long as you keep away from going to the South Bronx, you’re unlikely to run into any bother. (Visits to Yankees Stadium, the Botanical Backyard, or the Bronx Zoo are completely secure.)
Procuring is nice alongside fifth Ave in Midtown, and plenty of high-end manufacturers have retailer places on this space. One other risk is to go to SoHo, which additionally has a powerful nightlife scene should you’re fascinated by each buying and nightlife.
The phrase “nicest” may be outlined in another way by plenty of individuals, however should you’re in search of clear areas of New York, Midtown definitely tends to be probably the most well-maintained space. When it comes to the nicest residences, “Billionaire’s Row” is alongside Central Park West, although it gained’t be simple (or low-cost!) to seek out locations to remain right here.
To go to the principle vacationer sights, you could possibly in all probability see so much in only a weekend journey. “Hop-on Hop-off” bus excursions might help you see a lot of the Metropolis with out worrying an excessive amount of about transiting between sights. Nevertheless, to do an exhaustive go to together with issues resembling museums and excursions, I like to recommend you propose for between 7-10 days.
Having traveled to over 40 nations and over 30 US states, I actually do consider that New York is the best place on the planet. If you happen to’re studying this text and are in search of the place to remain in New York, I hope you’ll discover the opposite actions on right here quite a lot of enjoyable! I hope that when you’ve had the prospect to expertise this vacation spot that many dream of, you’ll agree with me that New York actually is the best place on the planet!
Be happy to succeed in out to me by way of my biography for contact data in case you have additional questions.
Leave a Reply