Topped with a crunchy garlic crisp, this shrimp lo mein recipe elevates selfmade take-out dinners to a complete new degree. Full of tender shrimp and crunchy veggies, each saucy chunk is the completely irresistible.
Straightforward Shrimp Lo Mein Recipe
Tossed in a selfmade sauce with numerous shrimp, this straightforward lo mein recipe is the whole lot you need in selfmade Chinese language takeout. Loaded with carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini, it’s secure to say this recipe formally makes take-out wholesome, proper?
You should utilize recent or frozen veggies on this recipe and simply swap the shrimp for tofu if you wish to make this a vegetarian recipe. For a bit of warmth, you may even add chili oil. Tremendous versatile and straightforward to make, you’ll end up cooking completely different variations of this dish relying on what’s in your fridge.
Topped with a golden garlic crisp, the sprinkle of sesame seeds and inexperienced onions is the ultimate contact for a pop of colour and texture. Saucy, comforting, and hearty, this shrimp lo mein may have problem leaving your weeknight dinner menu after you’ve had a style.
What Is The Distinction Between Lo Mein and Chow Mein?
Though they each use egg noodles, lo mein and chow mein are very completely different by way of preparation.
For lo mein, every of the recipe’s parts are cooked individually— particularly the noodles. Towards the tip of cooking, the whole lot is stirred along with a savory sauce that thickens because it simmers. Chow mein, then again, is about stir-frying the whole lot collectively. It’s undoubtedly not as saucy, so the cooking time is faster, and there isn’t as a lot of a problem with the noodles overcooking.
Talking of, you must strive my scrumptious Hen Chow Mein.
This shrimp lo mein is filled with veggies and Asian sauces for an genuine take-out taste. Verify the recipe card on the backside of the publish for full ingredient quantities.
For the Garlic Crisp
- Vegetable oil: Corn and canola oil are additionally okay.
For the Noodles
- Dried egg noodles
- Sesame oil: Be at liberty to make use of peanut oil.
- Crimson bell pepper: Any colour of bell pepper works.
- Yellow bell pepper
- Cremini mushrooms: White button mushrooms are a great swap. Don’t use portobellos.
- Vegetable oil: Corn and canola oil are additionally okay.
- Garlic: Don’t use garlic powder for this.
- Giant shrimp: Please don’t use cocktail shrimp for this.
To Make the Sauce
- Gentle brown sugar: Darkish brown sugar is an efficient substitute.
- Sesame oil
- Oyster sauce: You should utilize hoisin sauce as an alternative.
- Soy sauce: Low-sodium soy sauce works too.
- Cornstarch: Don’t use all-purpose flour.
- Black sesame seeds
- Inexperienced onion
Don’t fear when you’re out of shrimp, are having a vegetarian buddy over, or have to make this lo mein recipe spicy. There’s a variation for each event.
- Change the protein. Grilled hen, thinly sliced steak, and diced pork are yummy variations of this dish. Use no matter you’ve acquired readily available!
- Make it vegetarian. Swap the shrimp on your favourite grilled tofu and make this recipe vegetarian in a second.
- Make it spicy. Including 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of chili oil to the sauce will give your noodles some warmth.
The best way to Make Shrimp Lo Mein
Shrimp lo mein is about cooking the veggies, shrimp, and simmering them in a selfmade sauce.
For the Garlic Crisp, Noodles, Veggies, and Shrimp
- Make the garlic crisp. Add the oil to a small pan over medium-low warmth. Add the garlic. Let it prepare dinner for 1-2 minutes or till simply starting to show golden. Take away the garlic from the oil instantly and set it apart.
- Boil the noodles. Fill a pot with water and boil the noodles in response to bundle directions. Pressure them and gently toss them in sesame oil to forestall sticking.
- Prepare dinner the veggies. Set the warmth to medium. Pour the remaining garlic oil into a big pan. Add the zucchini and prepare dinner for 3-4 minutes or till tender. Take away it from the warmth and set it apart. Add the pink and yellow bell peppers. Prepare dinner them for 4-5 minutes. Take away them from the warmth and set them apart. Add the mushrooms and prepare dinner them for 6-7 minutes or till softened. Lastly, add the carrots. Prepare dinner them for 5-7 minutes or till softened. Set them apart.
- Prepare dinner the shrimp. Add the oil to the pan and set the warmth to excessive. Add the garlic and ginger. Stir effectively and allow them to prepare dinner for 30 seconds or till aromatic. Add the shrimp and allow them to prepare dinner for 1-3 minutes on both sides or till pinkish and utterly opaque. The precise cooking time will rely upon the scale of the shrimp. Season with salt to style. Take away it from the warmth and set it apart.
To Make the Sauce and Toss the Noodles
- Make the sauce. Add the water, gentle brown sugar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and cornstarch to the pan. Stir to mix. Let it come to a simmer over medium-low warmth and stir consistently. Prepare dinner the sauce for 8-12 minutes or till simply beginning to thicken.
- Combine the whole lot in. Toss the veggies and shrimp into the pan and stir till effectively mixed. Add the noodles and gently incorporate them into the combination. Prepare dinner the whole lot for an additional 5-6 minutes. Take away the pan from the warmth and set it apart.
- Serve. Place the noodles in serving bowls. Prime them with crispy garlic, sesame seeds, and inexperienced onions to style.
Ideas for Success
You’ll be stunned how a lot time it can save you by utilizing a frozen veggie combine and stirring a slurry. Learn the complete part for the most effective recommendations on the way to prepare dinner lo mein:
- Don’t overcook the noodles. Regulate the noodles as soon as they’re within the pot. You don’t wish to overcook them as a result of they’ll soften an excessive amount of within the sauce and lose their chunk.
- Use frozen veggies. Stir-fry veggie mixes are an awesome possibility that can assist you minimize down on prep time. Simply throw them into the pan and prepare dinner in response to the bundle directions.
- Make a slurry. Whisk the cornstarch and water till effectively mixed to make a slurry. Add it to the pan with the remainder of the sauce components. This fashion, the sauce will come collectively extra simply, and also you’ll keep away from any lumps.
- Stir gently. Use kitchen tongs to softly stir and blend the noodles, veggies, shrimp, and sauce within the pan. Doing so vigorously will break the noodles.
What to Serve With Seafood Lo Mein
This shrimp lo mein is greatest served with a mixture of Asian-style sides and mains for a selfmade take-out meal. You possibly can pair it with a heat bowl of my Chinese language Sizzling Pot. My Bok Choy with Heat Garlic Soy Dressing is a superb veggie aspect too. For different fundamental concepts to serve it with, strive my Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry and Beef and Broccoli Recipe.
The best way to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- As soon as absolutely cooled, refrigerate this shrimp lo mein in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days. For those who retailer the shrimp and noodles individually, you may retailer the noodles for as much as 5 days. The shrimp will solely maintain for two to three days, although.
- To reheat the noodles, pop them into the microwave for as much as a minute or till heat. You may also warmth them in a pan over medium-low warmth for 3 to five minutes, stirring sometimes.
Extra Chinese language Recipes
For the noodles, greens, and shrimp:
For the noodles, greens, and shrimp:
Set the warmth to medium. Pour the sesame oil into a big pan. Add the zucchini and let it prepare dinner for 3 to 4 minutes or till simply tender. Take away it from the warmth and set it apart.
Add the pink and yellow bell peppers to the pan and prepare dinner them for 4 to five minutes or till tender. Take away them from the warmth and set them apart. Add the mushrooms to the pan and prepare dinner them for 4 minutes. Lastly, add the diced carrots and prepare dinner them for five minutes or till softened. Take away from pan and set them apart.
Add vegetable oil to the pan and set the warmth to excessive. Add the garlic and ginger; stir effectively and allow them to prepare dinner for 20 seconds or till aromatic. Add the shrimp and allow them to prepare dinner for 1 to 2 minutes on both sides or till pinkish and utterly opaque—season them with salt to style. Take away the shrimp from the warmth and set them apart.
For the sauce:
Return the pan to the burner. Add the water, gentle brown sugar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and cornstarch to the pan. Whisk to mix and let it simmer over medium-low warmth whereas consistently whisking. Proceed to prepare dinner the sauce for 8 to 12 minutes or till simply beginning to thicken.
Toss the veggies and shrimp into the pan and stir till included. Utilizing tongs, add the noodles and gently mix them into the combination. Prepare dinner for five minutes. Take away the pan from the warmth and set it apart.
Place the noodles in serving bowls. Prime them with the crispy garlic, sesame seeds, and inexperienced onions.
- Noodles: You should utilize lo mein noodles or common egg noodles. Prepare dinner them in response to the instructions on the bundle.
- Shrimp: This recipe makes use of massive uncooked shrimp – don’t use cocktail shrimp. You may also do that with grilled hen, tofu, thinly sliced steak, or diced pork to vary it up.
- Greens: I exploit a mixture of bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and zucchini, however to hurry issues up, you should use store-bought frozen stir-fry veggie mixes. They’re an awesome possibility that can assist you minimize down on prep time.
- Oyster Sauce and Soy Sauce: For those who can’t discover oyster sauce, hoisin sauce is an efficient swap. For the soy sauce, I normally go together with a low-sodium soy sauce, however I additionally like utilizing Tamari.
- Use kitchen tongs to softly stir and blend the noodles, veggies, shrimp, and sauce within the pan.
Serving: 1.5 cups | Energy: 390 kcal | Carbohydrates: 51 g | Protein: 9 g | Fats: 17 g | Saturated Fats: 3 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 9 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 40 mg | Sodium: 729 mg | Potassium: 456 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 12 g | Vitamin A: 2098 IU | Vitamin C: 36 mg | Calcium: 51 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 48 g
Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values could range in response to the components and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.
Leave a Reply