This retro pineapple the other way up cake tastes like one million bucks, and it’s SO simple to make. It’s a moist and tender vanilla cake topped with buttery cherry-filled pineapple rings, bursting with shiny fruity taste!
Simple Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
This pineapple upside-down cake is so flippin’ good! Pun completely meant. It’s a moist, fluffy vanilla cake topped with a layer of gooey caramelized pineapples and dotted with maraschino cherries beneath a buttery brown sugar glaze. It’s simple to make, requiring your fundamental pantry substances, however the flavors and texture are next-level scrumptious.
This cake is baked – you guessed it – the other way up. These retro muffins originated within the Nineteen Twenties, and this traditional recipe is a scrumptious throwback that’s excellent for the vacations and past.
Why You’ll Love This Upside Down Cake Recipe
- Basic. Like a strawberry pretzel dessert, an ideal pineapple the other way up cake is splendidly classic. I don’t find out about you, however I really like cracking out an excellent old-timey dessert each once in a while.
- Candy fruit flavors. This cake recipe is topped with contemporary pineapple, juicy maraschino cherries, and a decadent brown sugar glaze. All of the flavors come collectively in a candy dessert that’s scrumptious as is and even higher topped with whipped cream or ice cream!
- Simple to make. An upside-down cake would possibly look fancy, but it surely’s really so easy to make. This recipe walks you thru making a moist and tender vanilla cake with the signature pineapple topping.
Easy methods to Make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Similar to any retro dessert, this pineapple the other way up cake makes use of easy substances. Collectively, they create a stunning cake with a buttery, caramelized prime! Under is an summary of find out how to make this cake. Remember to scroll to the recipe card for the complete ingredient quantities and recipe instructions.
Elements for the Cake
- Butter and Brown Sugar: Melted butter caramelizes with brown sugar and pineapple juice to create a wealthy, sticky glaze over the pineapple topping.
- Pineapple: You’ll want pineapple juice for the glaze, and contemporary pineapple, sliced into rings for topping the cake.
- Maraschino Cherries: These are candy preserved cherries in syrup. I don’t advocate substituting maraschino cherries with contemporary cherries, because it takes away from the traditional taste of the cake.
- Baking Powder and Salt
- Eggs and Vanilla: Eggs give the cake construction, whereas vanilla deepens the flavors.
- Put together the brown sugar glaze. Start by brushing a little bit of butter over the within of a 9” cake pan. Subsequent, you’ll mix a ½ stick of melted butter with brown sugar and pineapple juice and pour the combination into the underside of the pan.
- Add the pineapple rings. Prepare the pineapple rings over prime of the brown sugar combination, and place a cherry in the midst of every ring.
- Make the cake batter. In a brand new bowl, whisk collectively the dry substances for the cake. Subsequent, separate the yolks from the egg whites. Beat the egg whites till fluffed, and beat the yolks till clean. Stir extra pineapple juice, vanilla, and the remaining melted butter into the yolks, then add this into the bowl with the dry substances. Lastly, fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Assemble and bake. Pour the cake batter over the topping within the cake pan, and bake at 400ºF for half-hour. The cake might want to cool within the pan for 10 minutes earlier than you may flip it out.
Easy methods to Flip an Upside Down Cake
The principle issues to bear in mind when inverting your pineapple upside-down cake are 1) use a plate that’s wider than the cake pan and a couple of) use oven mitts in case your cake pan remains to be sizzling if you go to flip it. Right here’s find out how to invert this cake:
- Let the cake cool for about 10-Quarter-hour. This enables the topping and the cake to arrange sufficient to flip. Afterward, run a knife across the fringe of the cake to loosen any sticky edges.
- Cowl the cake pan with an upside-down plate or cake platter – in order that the floor of the plate is going through downward in opposition to the cake. Then, grip either side of the plate and cake pan firmly.
- Rapidly and punctiliously flip the cake in order that the plate is now on the underside and the cake is going through upwards, pineapple-side-up. Slowly take away the cake pan, and voila! Dig into your cake whereas it’s nonetheless heat.
Suggestions and Recipe Variations
One of many issues I really like most about these classic desserts is that they maintain the fuss to a minimal. Maintain the following pointers in thoughts for the right pineapple upside-down cake:
- You may make this recipe with canned pineapple. Canned pineapple rings are the retro alternative, they usually’re excellent to make use of for those who’re pressed for time. If you happen to’re utilizing canned, I like to recommend that you simply drain and pat dry the pineapple slices earlier than including them to the pan. This manner, the highest of your cake gained’t end up soggy.
- Not a fan of maraschino cherries? Attempt changing the cherries with pecans or one other kind of nut.
- Don’t overmix the cake batter. A pineapple the other way up cake is of course extra dense than your common vanilla cake as a result of one thing wants to carry up all that juicy fruit. Nevertheless, the cake shouldn’t be overly dense or dry. Just be sure you don’t overmix the batter – this will yield a tricky, dry cake.
- Don’t overbake. Like overmixing, overbaking is another excuse your pineapple the other way up cake might end up dry and crumbly. Not all ovens bake the identical, too, so just be sure you regulate the cake whereas it bakes.
- To inform in case your cake is finished baking, insert a toothpick into the middle. If the toothpick comes out clear, the cake is finished.
- For an additional variation made with yogurt, attempt my pineapple the other way up yogurt cake. It’s ultra-moist and made as a sheet cake so it’s nice for sharing.
Why Is the High of My Cake Soggy?
Whereas this cake is greatest served heat when the highest remains to be a bit of moist, there’s a distinction between moist and soggy. If the highest of your cake is overly gooey, it could possibly be since you used canned pineapple and didn’t blot away the surplus syrup first. An excessive amount of moisture within the topping can lead to a soggy cake. Additionally, be sure to serve your cake quickly after it’s baked since that is when it has the very best texture.
How Do I Maintain the Cake From Sticking to the Pan?
The caramelized sugar and butter normally do a superb job of stopping this cake from sticking. If you happen to discover that the sides of the cake are sticking to the edges of the pan earlier than you flip it, run a knife across the edges to loosen them a bit. If one or two of your pineapple rings get caught to the underside of the pan, it’s no biggie. Merely peel them off afterward and place them again on the cake.
This cake is completely served with a tall glass of milk or a comfy cup of espresso or tea. If you happen to’re in search of some extra tasty methods to serve a slice of pineapple upside-down cake, attempt these concepts:
- Toppings. High the cake slices with a swirl of fluffy whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. You possibly can even sprinkle over crushed pecans, walnuts, or chocolate shavings.
- Sauces. Drizzle slices of the other way up cake with selfmade strawberry sauce, or do that boozy chocolate sauce recipe spiked with rum.
- Ice Cream. Vanilla ice cream is traditional, or you may amp up the fruity flavors with a scoop of selfmade no churn mango ice cream or my 2-ingredient selfmade ice cream with contemporary berries.
- Brunch. Pineapple the other way up cake is an ideal shiny addition to a brunch desk. Serve it alongside breakfast favorites like buttermilk pancakes and French toast or as a candy end to a savory breakfast casserole.
Easy methods to Retailer
- Fridge. This cake is greatest when served heat and contemporary because of the moisture within the fruit topping. When you have leftovers, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place the cake in an hermetic container to retailer within the fridge for as much as 3 days. The feel gained’t be fairly the identical, however the flavors of the cake will nonetheless be scrumptious.
- Freezer. For longer-term storage, double-wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and retailer it within the freezer for as much as 2 months. Defrost the cake within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Simple Cake Recipes
For the Topping
Soften 8 tablespoons (1 complete stick) of butter in a single bowl. In a separate bowl, soften 4 tablespoons of butter (or 1/2 of a stick). Brush a few of the melted butter on the within of a 9-inch cake pan.
Combine the 1/2 stick of melted butter (4 tablespoons) with the brown sugar. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Pour the brown sugar combination into the underside of the ready cake pan.
Prepare the pineapple rings on prime of the brown sugar combination. Place a cherry within the middle of every pineapple ring and as many cherries as desired within the gaps between the rings. Set the pan apart.
For the Cake
Stir collectively the flour, salt, white sugar, and baking powder.
Separate the eggs, the whites in a single bowl, and the yolks in one other. Beat the whites till stiff.
Beat the egg yolks till clean and lemony yellow. Stir within the remaining pineapple juice, vanilla, and remaining melted butter. Add this combination to the flour combination, then gently fold within the egg whites.
Pour the batter excessive of the brown sugar and pineapple rings layer.
Bake for 25 to half-hour, or till a toothpick inserted within the middle of the cake comes out clear.
Take away from the oven and let the cake cool within the pan for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than flipping it.
Flip the cake by masking the pan tightly with a serving dish and invert in order that the pineapple facet faces up.
Minimize and serve.
- Go for canned pineapple rings for a fast, classic contact. Drain and dry them to keep away from a soggy cake prime.
- Not eager on maraschino cherries? Substitute with pecans or one other nut.
- Be cautious to not overmix the batter. It must be dense to assist the fruit however not powerful.
- Keep away from overbaking; ovens differ. Monitor the cake because it cooks.
- Examine doneness by inserting a toothpick within the middle. It’s prepared if the toothpick emerges clear.
- To take away the cake from the pan: Cool the cake for 10 to fifteen minutes, then use a knife to free any edges. Place a plate or platter face-down atop the cake pan, holding each securely. Invert so the cake sits pineapple-side-up on the plate. Elevate off the pan and luxuriate in.
Serving: 1 Slice | Energy: 364 kcal | Carbohydrates: 55 g | Protein: 4 g | Fats: 15 g | Saturated Fats: 9 g | Ldl cholesterol: 85 mg | Sodium: 262 mg | Potassium: 266 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 36 g | Vitamin A: 545 IU | Vitamin C: 45 mg | Calcium: 77 mg | Iron: 1.6 mg | Internet Carbs: 54 g
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might differ in accordance with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.