This French Onion Pasta is tossed with sautéed mushrooms and completely caramelized onions coated in a wealthy, velvety sauce of white wine, gruyere, and heavy cream. Add some roasted rooster to the combination, and also you’ve obtained your self a full meal.
Simple French Onion Pasta Recipe
In case you’re in search of a easy and easily scrumptious meal to make your busy life simpler however nonetheless tasty, this French onion pasta is your reply. Relive the traditional French onion soup style with completely tender pasta that soaks up the flavour of the wealthy, velvety sauce it’s cooked in. This one-pot meal is loaded with caramelized onions, tender items of rooster, hints of thyme, and sauteed mushrooms. It’s completed with only a contact of cream and a beneficiant portion of gruyere cheese that simply melts into the sauce, coating the pasta in a easy, heartwarming taste.
Why You’ll Love This Pasta
- One-pot marvel. You’ll roast the rooster individually, however the remaining is all cooked in a single pot for simple cleanup!
- Wealthy Taste. Suppose caramelized onions, nutty gruyere, white wine, and a contact of herbs for a satisfying chunk.
- Creamy goodness. Melty, nutty Gruyere blends with heavy cream to make one irresistible, creamy sauce.
French Onion Pasta Elements
- Hen thighs are what I exploit for this recipe, however you can use rooster breasts as a substitute.
- Olive oil is used for the rooster and for the sauce.
- Salt & Pepper to season.
- Butter for the onions.
- Yellow Onions are at all times my go-to, however Vidalia onions would work, too.
- Cremini Mushrooms are my alternative, however white button mushrooms would additionally work.
- Recent thyme or use dried thyme as a substitute.
- White wine, or you can use some apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar as a substitute.
- Quick pasta like orecchiette, however mezze rigatoni, farfalle, or fusilli would do the trick as properly.
- Beef broth
- Heavy cream
- Freshly grated gruyere cheese will soften into the sauce rather more easily.
- Recent parsley
Methods to Make French Onion Pasta
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Season the rooster. Toss the rooster with olive oil, salt, and pepper and switch it to the baking sheet; bake for half-hour. When it’s completed, take away it from the oven and chop the rooster into bite-sized items.
- Caramelize the onions. Warmth the olive oil and butter over medium warmth. Add the onions and prepare dinner them over medium-low warmth for 30 to 40 minutes till caramelized, stirring often.
- Sauté the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms and thyme and prepare dinner till the mushrooms are golden brown. Add the white wine and stir till it has principally evaporated.
- Cook dinner the pasta. Stir the pasta and the meat broth into the mushroom combination and boil. Cut back the warmth to low and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Thicken the sauce. Whisk collectively the cornstarch and water and stir it into the pasta. Cook dinner for a further 2 minutes.
- End it off. Flip off the warmth and stir within the rooster, adopted by the heavy cream and the gruyere. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe Suggestions & Variations
- Hold the broth close to you when caramelizing the onions. Add broth as wanted if the pan begins to dry up.
- Be affected person and caramelize the onions so they’re a deep brown. The flavour will deepen with the colour, and it takes a while to get to that.
- Hold stirring the pasta regularly because it cooks, or it can follow the underside of the pot.
- Use rotisserie rooster as a substitute of roasting your individual to avoid wasting time. Take away the meat from the bone and shred it or chop it up.
- Make it vegetarian, and miss the rooster on this recipe.
- Add veggies like spinach on the finish and let it wilt into the pasta dish. Or add diced, roasted asparagus or one other veggie of your selecting.
- Strive a unique cheese if you need. Gruyere is paying homage to French onion soup, however you should use freshly grated parmesan or pecorino.
Methods to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. As soon as the pasta has cooled to room temperature, seal it in an hermetic container and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for 3 months. Thaw earlier than reheating.
- To reheat. Switch the leftover pasta to a baking dish, cowl with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 10-Quarter-hour or till heated by means of.
Extra Simple Pasta Dishes
For the rooster
Prep. Preheat the oven to levels 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Season the rooster. Toss the rooster, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized mixing bowl till the rooster is totally coated.
Roast. Organize the rooster on the baking sheet and bake for half-hour or till a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest a part of the biggest piece reads 165˚F.
Chop. Switch the rooster to a reducing board and chop it into bite-sized items.
For the pasta and sauce
Caramelize the onions. In the meantime, warmth the olive oil and butter over medium till the butter has melted. Add the onions and season with salt. Give every little thing a great stir, scale back the warmth to medium-low, and prepare dinner the onions for 30 to 40 minutes or till very tender and caramelized, stir them often. In case you discover the pan begins to get dry, stir in a splash of water or beef broth.
Sauté the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms and thyme to the pan with the caramelized onions. Flip the warmth to medium, and sauté till the mushrooms are properly browned.
Deglaze the pan. Add the white wine and stir till it has principally evaporated.
Cook dinner the pasta. Stir the pasta and the meat broth into the caramelized onion combination. Flip the warmth to medium-high and produce the combination to a boil. Cut back the warmth to low and let simmer for 8 minutes, stirring often.
Thicken the sauce. Whisk collectively the cornstarch and water and stir it into the pasta. Cook dinner for a further 2 minutes.
End it off. Flip off the warmth and stir within the rooster, adopted by the heavy cream and the gruyere. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Serve. Serve the pasta in bowls and garnish with recent parsley.
- Hen: I want rooster thighs, however rooster breasts are a great various. Simply tweak the cooking time. For a fast repair, swap in shredded rotisserie rooster.
- Mushrooms: Although I like to make use of cremini mushrooms, white button mushrooms are a great substitute.
- Wine Different: As an alternative of white wine, contemplate apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar.
- Pasta: I really like utilizing quick pasta like orecchiette, however rigatoni, farfalle, or fusilli work nice too. Stir the pasta typically whereas cooking to stop sticking.
- Sauce: For a creamier texture, go for freshly grated gruyere cheese. You may also use parmesan cheese.
- Caramelizing Onions: Take your time with cooking the onions to attain a deep caramelized coloration. Additionally, have beef broth helpful when working with the onions, and add some in if the pan begins to look dry.
Serving: 2 cups | Energy: 485 kcal | Carbohydrates: 42 g | Protein: 34 g | Fats: 19 g | Saturated Fats: 7 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 8 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 132 mg | Sodium: 1246 mg | Potassium: 889 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 4 g | Vitamin A: 664 IU | Vitamin C: 11 mg | Calcium: 138 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Web Carbs: 39 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could range based on the components and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.