This tomato tart is savory, fancy, and so scrumptious. It’s loaded with tomatoes, peppers, and feta cheese and has a brilliant flaky selfmade crust.
Straightforward Do-it-yourself Tomato Tart With Feta Cheese
Like all people on this world, I really like pizza. 🍕 However typically, I need pizza flavors in a type that’s slightly extra elegant and rather less greasy. That’s once I make this distinctive tomato tart. It tastes just like pizza, with a lot of tomatoes, salty feta cheese, and tons of peppers. Nonetheless, it’s a bit extra refined, with tomato slices as an alternative of tomato sauce, briny feta as an alternative of greasy mozzarella, and a pie crust as an alternative of pizza dough.
The pie crust is the star of this recipe. It’s so flaky and wealthy and works completely with sturdy tomatoes. It elevates this tomato tart into a flowery and splendid meal, good for the whole lot from dinner along with your children to a romantic date night time. And don’t fear; it’s not even tough to make, so that you’ve bought to strive it. You don’t even want a tart pan!
Why You’ll Love This Rustic Tomato Tart
That is one among my favourite recipes, and I’m assured you’ll even be a giant fan of it.
- Restaurant high quality. Going out to eat is a lot enjoyable. Nevertheless it’s not at all times a sensible selection. It takes a whole lot of time and power and will be fairly costly. And typically you wish to keep throughout the consolation of your personal house. So I prefer to preserve just a few restaurant-quality recipes readily available for the times once I’m craving the meals of an evening out however don’t wish to depart the home. That is a type of recipes. For those who make this for a pal, companion, or member of the family, they’ll suppose it got here from a restaurant. It’s that good, and it’s that fancy.
- Customizable. The flavors on this recipe work completely collectively, however you possibly can simply change them up if you happen to’d like. You possibly can add just about something that you simply wish to this tomato tart, and it is going to be scrumptious. So if there are specific flavors you’re craving, it is a nice recipe to play with.
- Flaky crust. The crust on this recipe is solely irresistible. It’s as flaky as any pie crust you’ve ever eaten. It’s price making this tart for the crust alone!
What You’ll Want
Listed here are all of the components that you simply’ll have to make this upscale tomato tart. The recipe card on the backside of the article has the precise measurements for every ingredient.
For the Crust:
- Flour: All-purpose flour works nice for this recipe, however you can even use pastry flour in case you have it.
- Butter: You wish to use chilly, unsalted butter for this recipe.
For the Topping:
- Tomatoes: Medium-sized tomatoes are greatest for this recipe.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Contemporary Inexperienced Bell Peppers or Banana Peppers
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper: Make certain to make use of freshly floor black pepper.
- Feta cheese
Learn how to Make a Tomato Tart
Right here’s the best way to make this easy, restaurant-quality savory tart.
- Combine the dry components. Add the flour and salt collectively in a meals processor.
- Add the butter. Put the butter into the meals processor, and pulse till the combination is coarse.
- End the dough. Whereas the meals processor runs, slowly add the water till the dough comes collectively and kinds a ball.
- Divide. Portion the dough into two equally-sized items. Flatten the dough into disks.
- Chill. Cowl the dough with plastic wrap and let it chill within the fridge for no less than an hour.
- Roll the dough. Take away one of many dough disks from the fridge, and place it on a floured floor. Roll the dough out, then drape it over a pie pan that’s been coated with parchment paper. Preserve the opposite dough disk within the fridge or freezer.
- Preheat. Flip your oven on to 425˚F.
- Add the veggies. Place a layer of tomatoes and peppers over the dough.
- Season. Drizzle olive oil over the veggies, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add cheese. Sprinkle feta cheese all around the veggies.
- Bake. Place the tart within the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Scale back the temperature. Drop the oven temperature to 375˚F and bake for 15 extra minutes.
- Cool. Take away the tomato tart from the oven, and let it relaxation for a number of minutes earlier than chopping into it.
Suggestions and Tips
Listed here are just a few tips that you should use whenever you make this decadent tomato tart.
- Add extra components. This is a superb recipe to tinker with, relying on what’s in your fridge or backyard. You possibly can add extra veggies in case you have them, and you may add contemporary herbs like basil and thyme. You possibly can add extra conventional pizza toppings, like olives, onions, or cured meats. I really like this recipe simply as it’s, however be at liberty to regulate it primarily based on what you have got round the home.
- Don’t use overly-juicy tomatoes. If attainable, keep away from utilizing tomatoes which might be tremendous juicy. If the tomatoes are too juicy, they’ll make the pie crust soggy. Keep away from tomatoes which might be overly ripe, and persist with varieties which might be agency and never too watery.
- Use ice water. Each pie crust recipe tells you to make use of chilly water. The chilly water helps preserve the butter from melting, which makes the crust flaky as an alternative of soggy and greasy. The colder, the higher, so for greatest outcomes, use ice water.
- Regulate the water. The quantity of water you’ll want for the pie crust varies primarily based on a whole lot of elements, specifically the local weather that you simply stay in. Regulate the water within the crust till the dough comes collectively easily.
Listed here are some commonly-asked questions on this luscious tomato tart recipe.
Completely! This recipe solely makes one tomato tart, but it surely makes sufficient dough for 2 tarts. The second disk of dough will final for 1 week within the fridge or for six months within the freezer. Protecting crust within the freezer is an effective way to have simple savory or candy pies anytime you need.
No, you don’t. I like to make use of cherry tomatoes as a result of the sweetness works so nicely with this recipe. However you possibly can substitute them with grape tomatoes, and even simply use further medium-size tomatoes.
For those who don’t like warmth, you possibly can substitute the banana peppers with inexperienced bell peppers. And if you happen to do like warmth however don’t have contemporary banana peppers, you should use pickled ones.
Since this recipe is wealthy and has a good quantity of carbs, I prefer to serve it with a lightweight and refreshing salad, or a aspect dish of veggies. Listed here are a few of my favourite recipes to serve with tomato tarts.
Learn how to Retailer Leftovers
- Any leftover tomato tart slices will be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Nonetheless, the pie crust will get soggy over time, so I like to recommend consuming leftovers inside a day.
- You can even retailer unused pie crust dough within the fridge for 1 week.
Can You Freeze Tomato Tarts?
- Sure, you possibly can freeze these tarts. Double-bag them in hermetic plastic luggage, and retailer them within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
- Allow them to thaw within the fridge in a single day to defrost, or reheat them in a 350˚F oven for quarter-hour. You can even freeze the leftover pie crust dough for as much as 6 months.
Extra Straightforward Tomato Recipes
In case your backyard is overflowing with tomatoes like mine is each fall, you then’ve bought to strive some extra of my favourite tomato recipes. Listed here are just a few of them.
For the Pie Crust (makes 2 pie crusts):
Within the bowl of a meals processor, pulse collectively the flour and salt.
Add the butter and proceed to course of till it resembles a rough meal.
With the machine operating, slowly add the water and course of till a dough comes collectively.
Add extra water if the dough appears too dry.
Take away the dough from the meals processor, divide it into two equally-sized balls, and flatten them into disks.
Wrap every disk in plastic wrap and chill for no less than one hour earlier than rolling it out.
Roll one of many pie crusts out on a floured floor, after which place it in a greased pie pan coated with parchment paper.
Refrigerate or freeze the opposite disk of dough.
For the Filling:
Preheat your oven to 425˚F.
Layer the underside of the tart with tomatoes and inexperienced peppers.
Drizzle with olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper, however do not use an excessive amount of salt as a result of feta cheese is salty.
Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese throughout the highest.
Put it within the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Scale back oven temperature to 375˚F and bake for a further quarter-hour.
Enable to chill for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than chopping and serving.
- Dough: Use chilly water and butter to make the pie crust. The chilly water helps preserve the butter from melting, which makes the crust flaky and buttery.
- Tomatoes: Attempt utilizing firmer tomatoes. If the tomatoes are too juicy, they’ll make the pie crust soggy.
- Peppers: Any bell or banana peppers are good to make use of.
- You possibly can add extra toppings like olives, mushrooms, and even pepperoni.
- Prep Time consists of 1 hour of refrigeration time for the pie crust.
- Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3 days or within the freezer for 3 months.
- Retailer leftover pie crust dough in an hermetic container within the fridge for 1 week or within the freezer for six months.
Energy: 398 kcal | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Protein: 7 g | Fats: 26 g | Saturated Fats: 16 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 7 g | Trans Fats: 1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 170 mg | Potassium: 259 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 3 g | Vitamin A: 1344 IU | Vitamin C: 34 mg | Calcium: 92 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Web Carbs: 32 g
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in response to the components and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.
Leave a Reply