Baked to juicy and caramelized perfection, this straightforward Rooster Marbella recipe is full of olives, capers, and prunes. Marinated in a candy, herby brine, you’ll love the flavors of this easy but fancy dish.
Candy & Tangy Baked Rooster Marbella
Topped with golden caramelized goodness, this straightforward Rooster Marbella is a good weeknight dinner filled with candy, briny, and savory flavors. Prepped forward for a speedy meal the day after, all you’ll have to do is pop it within the oven and prepare to serve it.
Filled with olives, capers, and prunes, this recipe is an explosion of flavors from begin to end. Marinated in olive oil and pink wine vinegar for tremendous tender hen, each chunk is juicy, tangy, and caramelized, due to the brown sugar. With thinly sliced onions and garlic, this hen’s cooking juices are so tasty, all the time ready for me to sop all of it up with a bit of crusty bread. 🙌
On the desk in about an hour, it’s a powerful dinner that doesn’t require way more than marinating and baking. Loaded with elegant flavors, you’ll love how surprisingly easy this baked hen Marbella is, the place time is the primary ingredient.
What Is Rooster Marbella?
Rooster Marbella is a Jewish-American recipe from The Silver Palate cookbook that has nothing to do with Spain. (FYI: Marbella is a metropolis in southern Spain, located on the Mediterranean Sea). It’s a baked hen dish filled with candy, salty, and savory components, creating a posh taste profile. Regardless of the flamboyant flavors from the mix of components, it’s a simple dinner to placed on the desk.
Examine your pantry for some olives, prunes, and capers. Don’t neglect to scroll right down to the recipe card on the backside of the publish for full ingredient quantities.
To Make the Marinade
- Olive oil – You too can use avocado oil or coconut oil. Attempt to not use vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Shallot – You’ll be able to substitute for two thinly sliced giant garlic cloves.
- Salt and floor black pepper
- Pitted inexperienced olives
- Olive brine
- Capers – Be at liberty to depart them out or substitute them for inexperienced olives.
- Caper brine
- Pitted prunes
- Dried oregano – In the event you’re not a fan of its potent herbiness, you’ll be able to substitute it for 1/4 cup of chopped parsley.
- Pink wine vinegar
For the Rooster
- Bone-in, skin-on hen thighs and drumsticks – Boneless hen will work too, however it dries out quicker so regulate it.
- Salt and black pepper
- Onion – White or yellow.
- Garlic cloves – Don’t use garlic powder for this.
- Bay leaves
- Gentle brown sugar – Darkish brown sugar works too. No white sugar, please.
- Dry white wine
- Low-sodium hen broth – Veggie inventory and common hen broth are wonderful, simply cut back the quantity of salt within the recipe.
- Contemporary orange juice – Attempt to not use boxed juice.
The way to Make Rooster Marbella
This straightforward hen recipe is all about marinating and baking. That’s it!
- Make the marinade. Combine the olive oil, shallot, salt, black pepper, inexperienced olives, olive brine, capers, and caper brine in a big mixing bowl. Add the prunes, dried oregano, and pink wine vinegar. Stir to mix. Add the hen and toss it till it’s fully coated. Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 1 to eight hours.
- Put together the oven. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Place the baking rack on the bottom rack.
- Assemble the hen. Take away the hen from the fridge and place it in a big baking dish. Season it with salt and pepper to style. Pour within the marinade.
- Add the onion. Place the sliced onion and quartered garlic within the areas between the hen. Add the bay leaves. Sprinkle the hen with the thinly sliced garlic.
- Add the wine. Prime the hen thighs and drumsticks with brown sugar. Please don’t skip it as a result of it can caramelize and assist the pores and skin flip a pleasant golden coloration. Pour the wine, hen broth, and orange juice from the aspect.
- Bake it. Prepare dinner within the oven for 45-50 minutes or till the hen is cooked via. Take away it from the oven and let it relaxation for 10 minutes. Baste it with its cooking juices and serve.
Suggestions for Success
Enhancing this hen Marbella’s taste simply received a complete lot simpler with these easy suggestions:
- Marinate it in a single day. This can assist the flavors come collectively quite a bit higher, so let it marinate when you’ve got sufficient time to plan forward.
- Use foil. Line the baking dish with foil for simple clean-up.
- Scale back the prunes. In the event you’re undecided you’ll love how candy this dish would possibly prove, add prunes to style. 2-3 tablespoons of prunes ought to be sufficient to offer you a lightweight begin to candy and savory dishes.
- Add extra wine. Including 1/4 cup extra white wine to the hen earlier than baking will produce a much less candy, barely saucier dish.
What to Serve with Rooster Marbella
This straightforward hen Marbella pairs nicely with all of your favourite sides and appetizers, so long as they’re not on the candy aspect or too closely spiced. I significantly find it irresistible with Mediterranean and Center Japanese-inspired dishes like my Mediterranean White Bean Salad and Crispy Baked Falafel.
You too can serve it with my Roasted Artichokes, Lavash Bread, and Creamy Garlic Mushrooms with Bacon.
The way to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- As soon as cooled, retailer the leftovers in an hermetic container and refrigerate for as much as 4 days.
- Reheat it within the microwave for two minutes or till heat. You too can reheat it in a pan set over medium warmth for six to 10 minutes.
Extra Baked Rooster Recipes
Combine the olive oil, shallot, salt, black pepper, inexperienced olives, olive brine, capers, and caper brine in a big mixing bowl. Add the prunes, dried oregano, and pink wine vinegar; stir to mix.
Add the hen and toss it till it is fully coated. Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 1 hour or in a single day.
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Place the oven rack within the backside place.
Take away the hen from the fridge and place it in a big baking dish or roasting pan. Season it with salt and pepper to style, and pour within the marinade.
Place the sliced onion and quartered garlic within the areas between the hen. Add the bay leaves. Sprinkle the hen with thinly sliced garlic.
Prime the hen thighs and drumsticks with brown sugar. Pour within the wine, hen broth, and orange juice from the aspect.
Pop the baking dish into the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or till the hen is cooked. Use an Prompt Learn Meat Thermometer to examine for doneness – hen is cooked via when its inner temperature registers at 165˚F.
Take away it from the oven and let it relaxation for 10 minutes.
Switch to a platter, baste it with the cooking juices, and serve heat.
- Rooster: We’re utilizing bone-in skin-on hen thighs and drumsticks. Whilst you definitely can use skinless, boneless hen breasts, I extremely advocate attempting this recipe as-is. You’ll be able to make it your individual the second time round.
- Brine: Use the brine from the jar of olives and the jar of capers. You solely want a tablespoon of every.
- Prunes: The unique recipe requires prunes, however you may as well use dried apricots or dates.
- If time permits, marinate the hen in a single day. This can assist the flavors meld collectively, producing juicier, extra flavorful hen.
- Scale back the sauce: Utterly non-obligatory, however all the time a scrumptious concept. Switch the baked hen items to a platter and prime with the prunes, olives, and capers. Then, pour the cooking juices right into a skillet, place the skillet/pan over medium warmth, and convey the juices to a boil; proceed to prepare dinner till the sauce is decreased to about 1/2 cup. Pressure it right into a heatproof bowl and pour it over the hen.
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an hermetic container for 3 to 4 days.
Serving: 10 ounces | Energy: 882 kcal | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Protein: 41 g | Fats: 68 g | Saturated Fats: 15 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 11 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 37 g | Trans Fats: 0.2 g | Ldl cholesterol: 236 mg | Sodium: 1383 mg | Potassium: 731 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 16 g | Vitamin A: 358 IU | Vitamin C: 11 mg | Calcium: 76 mg | Iron: 3 mg | Internet Carbs: 22 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might range based on the components and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.