Tremendous aromatic and fluffy, this simple cumin Jeera rice is loaded with heat spices like cinnamon and star anise. It’s the proper Indian rice aspect whenever you’re in search of a little bit of added consolation.
Simple Selfmade Jeera Rice Recipe
Studded with earthy spices, this cumin rice packs all of the perfume and aroma your Indian meals want. Each chew is stuffed with heat, cozy flavors from the mixture of star anise, cinnamon, and cumin.
With a 30-minute cooking time and easy directions, this rice nonetheless manages to come back out good and fluffy. The key is in letting it soak earlier than including it to the pot. After that, bloom the gorgeous spices and watch your kitchen remodel into a conventional Indian restaurant.
Topped with recent coriander for a pop of coloration, Jeera rice, aka jeera bhaat, will change into your new favourite aspect for lunch and dinner. Recent or frozen and thawed, it’s a comforting bowl of rice you’ll all the time take pleasure in.
What Is Jeera Rice?
“Jeera” means “cumin” in Hindi, so jeera rice is basically an Indian rice dish seasoned with cumin seeds. Spices and aromatics like complete cloves, star anise, and cinnamon add extra taste. Because of its explicit spice mixture, it’s greatest with different Indian sides and dishes.
It’s simple to make and is an on a regular basis aspect in most Indian households.
Time to inventory that spice cupboard! Try the recipe card on the backside of the publish for full ingredient quantities.
- Basmati rice
- Ghee: Vegetable, corn, and canola oil work too. Unsalted butter is an efficient substitute as properly.
- Indian bay leaves: Common bay leaves work too.
- Cumin seeds
- Complete cloves
- Cinnamon stick
- Strand mace: It’s an fragrant spice utilized in Center Jap and Indian meals. In the event you can’t discover it at a specialty baking retailer or on-line, you may substitute it for a tiny pinch of floor nutmeg (lower than 1/4 teaspoon.)
- Inexperienced cardamom pods
- Black cardamom pods: You’ll be able to substitute these for inexperienced cardamom pods if wanted.
- Star anise
- Inexperienced chili
- Low-sodium veggie broth: Be happy to make use of water as an alternative.
- Recent coriander
Do I Have To Use Basmati Rice?
Not essentially. Jasmine rice is a superb substitute! Most sorts of long-grain white rice will work for this recipe too. Don’t use short-grain white rice, although.
Make Jeera Rice
Making cumin rice is like making some other type of seasoned rice. It’s simple! Don’t overlook to learn the Ideas part for some additional steerage.
To Wash and Put together the Rice
- Rinse the rice. Place the rice in a big container and canopy it with water. Stir the rice for two minutes. Pressure it after which repeat the method 2-3 extra instances till the water is nearly clear. Pressure it and set it apart.
- Soak the rice. Add the rice again into the container and canopy it with not less than 3″ of heat water. Let it relaxation for 1 hour. Pressure it and set it apart.
For the Cumin Rice
- Bloom the spices. Soften the ghee in a pot over medium warmth. Add the Indian bay leaves, cumin seeds, complete cloves, cinnamon stick, strand mace, inexperienced cardamom, black cardamom, and star anise. Stir continuously and cook dinner the spices for two minutes or till aromatic. Add the inexperienced chili and blend to mix. Prepare dinner for 1 extra minute.
- Add the rice. Switch the rice to the pot and gently unfold it out, stirring sometimes. Let it cook dinner for 3 minutes. Don’t transfer it round so much or the rice grains will cut up and break because the rice cooks.
- Add the broth. Pour the veggie broth in and add the salt. Stir gently. Style the broth and modify the saltiness as wanted. Improve the warmth to excessive and convey the broth to a boil.
- Prepare dinner it. As soon as it boils, scale back the warmth to medium-low and canopy the pot with a lid. Prepare dinner the rice in response to bundle directions till the broth is absorbed. Take away the pot from the warmth and let it relaxation lined for one more 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice. Take away the lid and add the coriander. Use a fork to softly fluff up the rice whereas mixing the coriander in. Let it relaxation for one more 5 minutes.
- Serve. Add it to your serving plates and luxuriate in it along with your major dish.
Ideas for Success
With the following tips, making Jeera rice and some other sort of rice will probably be a breeze any further.
- Don’t rub it. When washing the rice, don’t rub it along with your fingers or the grains will cut up throughout cooking.
- Keep away from scorching water. When soaking the rice, don’t use scorching or boiling water, in any other case, you’ll have an effect on the cooking time.
- Don’t serve it straight away. As soon as prepared, let the rice relaxation within the pot (lined) for not less than 20 minutes. In the event you skip this and serve it straight away, the rice will probably be too moist.
- Skip the blooming. In the event you’re in a rush, you may skip the blooming and add all of the spices and aromatics into the pot whenever you pour within the veggie broth. Don’t overlook the ghee, although!
What to Serve With Indian Cumin Rice
Cumin rice is ideal with my Indian-style mains like Curry-Yogurt Marinated Hen Thighs and Sheet Pan Tandoori Hen. Don’t overlook to pair it with numerous veggie sides for an entire meal. I like it with some Candy and Spicy Carrots and Inexperienced Beans, Pan-Fried Oyster Mushrooms, Sesame Snap Peas, and Roasted Artichokes.
Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Refrigerate this completely cooled cumin rice in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days. To reheat it, sprinkle it with just a few teaspoons of water and stir it. Microwave the rice for as much as a minute or till heat.
- You can even warmth it in a pan over medium-low warmth, sometimes stirring, for five to six minutes.
Can I Freeze Jeera Rice?
- Sure! As soon as absolutely cooled, switch the rice to freezer-friendly luggage in serving-size parts. Squeeze out as a lot air as doable. Freeze it for as much as 3 months. You can even use freezer-friendly containers, however the possibilities of freezer burn are a lot increased, affecting the feel of the rice.
- Thaw the rice in a single day within the fridge a day earlier than serving. Reheat it as traditional.
Extra Rice Facet Dishes
Place the rice in a big container and canopy it with water. Use your palms to stir the rice for two minutes. Pressure it after which repeat the method 2 to three extra instances till the water is nearly clear. Drain.
Add the rice again into the container and canopy it with not less than 3 inches of heat water. Let it relaxation for 1 hour. Pressure it and set it apart.
Soften the ghee in a pot set over medium warmth. Add the bay leaves, cumin seeds, complete cloves, cinnamon stick, mace, inexperienced cardamom, black cardamom, and star anise. Stir continuously and cook dinner the spices for two minutes or till aromatic. Add the inexperienced chili and blend to mix. Prepare dinner for 1 extra minute.
Add the rice to the pot and gently unfold it out, stirring sometimes. Let it cook dinner for 3 minutes.
Pour the veggie broth in and add the salt. Stir gently. Style the broth and modify the saltiness as wanted. Improve the warmth to excessive and convey the broth to a boil.
As soon as it boils, scale back the warmth to medium-low and canopy the pot with a lid. Prepare dinner the rice in response to bundle directions. Take away the pot from the warmth and let it relaxation lined for one more 20 minutes.
Take away the lid and add the coriander. Use a fork to softly fluff up the rice whereas mixing the coriander in. Let it relaxation for one more 5 minutes.
Add it to your serving plates and luxuriate in it along with your major dish.
- Rice: Jeera (cumin) rice is nearly all the time ready with Basmati rice, however you too can use Jasmine rice or long-grain white rice.
- Indian Bay Leaves: You need to use common bay leaves if that’s all you have got.
- Ghee is clarified butter – butter that has been simmered and strained to take away all of the water.
- Cumin Seeds: You need to use 1/2 teaspoon of floor cumin to exchange 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Strand of Mace: Mace is derived from the coating of the nutmeg seed. You need to use about 1/8 teaspoon of floor nutmeg should you don’t have mace.
- Inexperienced Chili: You solely want one small inexperienced chili pepper, however be happy to make use of a couple of teaspoon of canned inexperienced chilis.
Energy: 346 kcal | Carbohydrates: 59 g | Protein: 6 g | Fats: 9 g | Saturated Fats: 5 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.5 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3 g | Ldl cholesterol: 22 mg | Sodium: 597 mg | Potassium: 126 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 49 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 41 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 57 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could fluctuate in response to the substances and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.
Leave a Reply