Take advantage of superb creamy, golden baked polenta with oven roasted mushrooms in a jiffy with this fabulous vegan, gluten-free recipe. This baked polenta recipe is very easy! Simply get your mushrooms prepared on a baking sheet, and whereas they’re roasting, cook dinner the polenta over the range, then switch it to the oven with the mushrooms to complete baking. Whenever you’re finished, you’ll get pleasure from this hearty polenta skillet recipe, which you’ll be able to serve proper out of the skillet–no additional cleanup required. The oven roasted mushrooms add a wealthy savory high quality to the earthy polenta bake. Get it on the desk in underneath an hour (most of that point is letting the oven do the work!). With simply 7 components (not together with pantry staples) you’ll be able to put collectively a very superior meal that’s glorious for busy weeknights, particular meals, holidays, and potlucks. What to serve with polenta? This recipe is hearty sufficient to be the principle occasion, however you may also take into account it a aspect dish to accompany protein-based dishes, comparable to lentil patties or lentil loaves. I prefer to serve it with a crisp vegetable salad to complete off the meal.
Polenta vs Grits
What’s the distinction between polenta and grits? What’s polenta? Nicely, they’re each created from floor corn, however grits originated with Native American meals traditions that crossed over into American Southern meals tradition. Grits are created from dent corn and it’s normally white (however can be yellow or blue if particular corn varieties are used). Grits is normally floor extra finely and has a stronger corn taste. Polenta originated in Northern Italy and is created from flint corn that’s yellow (typically it may be a white corn selection). Polenta is normally floor to medium-coarse texture and has a milder corn taste.
Is Polenta Gluten-Free?
Sure, polenta is created from corn, so it’s naturally gluten-free. The one concern may be cross contamination within the meals manufacturing system. If you’re involved about gluten, search for a gluten-free certification image on packages.
Is Polenta Wholesome?
Sure, polenta is a wholesome, nutrient-rich grain product that’s a part of wholesome, conventional diets. Some polenta might have elements of the grain eliminated, so it might not be thought-about an entire grain.
For this recipe, I used to be fortunate sufficient to search out flint corn grown by an area farmer in Ojai. I floor it myself, so it was 100% entire grain! If you’re lucky sufficient to purchase dried flint corn, you’ll be able to simply grind it in a high-powered blender for a couple of minutes till it reaches a medium floor texture.
This wholesome, scrumptious baked polenta with oven roasted mushrooms is very easy to make! That includes solely 7 components (not together with pantry staples), you may make this hearty vegan, gluten-free recipe very quickly and serve it because the star of your meal.
- 1 ½ kilos mushrooms (i.e., shitake, oyster, chanterelle, maitake, crimini)
- 2 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt (elective)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup contemporary thyme (plus extra for garnish)
- 6 cups water
- 1 ½ cups polenta, dried
- 1 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt (elective)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces vegan parmesan, shredded or shaved (i.e., Comply with Your Coronary heart or Violife; or make Cashew Parmesan cheese right here)
- ½ cup plant-based milk or creamer, plain, unsweetened
- Thyme leaves
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Course sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Slice mushrooms into massive items (don’t chop into small items, because the mushrooms will shrink) and prepare on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with minced garlic, salt (elective), black pepper, and contemporary thyme. Toss with tongs to distribute effectively.
- Place within the oven on the decrease rack and bake for about 45-50 minutes, till tender and browned, stirring each quarter-hour. Take away from the oven and put aside. (You may be cooking the polenta within the oven whereas the mushrooms are roasting. See step 9).
- Whereas mushrooms are roasting, put together the polenta.
- Pour water into a big (20-inch) skillet or sauté pan (you may also use a medium Dutch oven) over medium-high warmth. Convey to a boil.
- Add the polenta, olive oil, salt (elective), and black pepper to the boiling water and stir with a whisk till easy and bubbly (about 3 minutes). Take away from range.
- Place the skillet (or sauté pan or Dutch oven) with polenta on the highest rack of the oven and bake for about half-hour till tender. (You possibly can bake the polenta within the high rack of the oven whereas the mushrooms end roasting on the decrease rack.) Take away polenta from oven and stir in vegan parmesan cheese and plant-based milk or creamer with a whisk, till easy and creamy. The mushrooms ought to be finished roasting by now (take away from oven and put aside). When mushrooms are out of the oven, brown the polenta by setting the oven temperature to broiler setting and returning polenta to oven high rack for about 4-5 minutes to reheat and get barely golden on high.
- Take away polenta from oven. Prepare with mushrooms on high. Might garnish (elective) with extra contemporary thyme, freshly floor black pepper, and course sea salt.
- Serve instantly in skillet (or sauté pan or Dutch oven).
- Makes 6 servings.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Prepare dinner Time: 55 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: American
Key phrases: baked polenta, oven roasted mushrooms, roasted portobello mushrooms, polenta
For different plant-based aspect dishes, examine these out:
Sautéed Asparagus with Fava Beans
Immediate Pot Mexican Black Beans with Epazote
Immediate Pot Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Chicory with Pistachios and Pomegranates
Simple Brown Rice with Cumin
This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data click on right here.
Leave a Reply