Are you staying in Southern Spain and searching for some new locations to discover round Seville? In that case, you’re in the best place!
I’ve been residing in Southern Spain, for over 3 years now and visited plenty of lovely locations and locations which might be inside straightforward attain from Seville. On this article, I’ve chosen seven straightforward day journeys from Seville that tick all of your journey bins – lovely places, straightforward attain from Seville, and loads of time and issues to discover in simply someday.
Earlier than we get to them, I’ve shared some suggestions for choosing the best vacation spot for you beneath, and on the finish of the article, you’ll discover some bonus suggestions that may make your journey far more handy and hassle-free. Take pleasure in!
Planning Your Day Journey from Seville
Planning your day journeys from Seville is fairly straightforward – the town is properly linked to plenty of different locations in Southern Spain by way of high-quality highways, prolonged rail connections, and even frequent bus providers.
So even for those who’re not eager on driving a automobile, there are many locations you possibly can discover very simply with only a practice or a bus trip.
On this article, I’ve compiled a few of the greatest choices for cities and locations to go to inside a brief attain from Seville. I attempted to maintain the journey time below two hours, so there may be sufficient time to discover the town with out feeling such as you spent more often than not within the automobile or commuting someplace.
There’s a broad combine of various dimension locations so everybody can discover one thing they’ll like – larger and extra identified locations and a few smaller native gems thrown in between.
For ease of reference, I’ve additionally added notes on every possibility whether or not it’s straightforward to do this particular vacation spot with a practice or bus, do you have to not wish to hire a automobile when you’re staying in Seville.
In case you’re unsure how one can resolve on a spot the place you wish to go, there are a number of questions you possibly can ask your self:
- Do you favor hassle-free journey and wish to use a practice or a bus? In that case, the larger cities that are higher linked by rail community are a greater possibility for you (Granada, Cadiz, Cordoba)
- Would you like a quick journey time and extra time exploring the vacation spot? In that case take a look at the cities closest to you by automobile or practice, like Cadiz (sufficiently small that you just see all the things in someday) or Jezer de la Frontera
- If you wish to spend a while on a seaside when you’re staying in Seville, I’d advocate heading to Cadiz or Tarifa (in Tarifa you get to expertise the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea on the similar time)
- Are you a historical past fanatic and wish to see all of the gems of Southern Spain? In that case head in the direction of Granda, or Cordoba!
- If you wish to see a bit extra genuine aspect of Southern Spain, locations like Jerez de la Frontera or Tarifa might be a very good match for you
- If you want to tick off a few of the ‘bucket record’ locations for Southern Spain, a good selection is both Ronda or Gibraltar (technically not Spain, however properly definitely worth the journey)
- For wine fans, you’ll love the Sherry triangle city of Jerez, and those that like good meals will love the free tapas custom in Granada (free small tapas served with each drink practically anyplace within the metropolis)
So right here they’re, my prime picks for Seville day journeys!
Prime Day Journeys from Seville
Cadiz is a coastal city on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, and it’s stated to be one of many oldest cities not simply in Spain, but additionally in Europe.
Cadiz is sort of a singular place – to start with, it’s positioned by itself island, linked to the mainland with two bridges and a stretch of lengthy seaside. Cadiz is generally favored by native Spanish vacationers who love the town’s white sandy seashores and conventional southern hospitality. Cadiz certainly seems like a small village, though it’s a reasonably well-known metropolis.
Whereas in Cadiz, you should have loads of time to see the previous city, the market, the Cadiz Cathedral and a few of the different monuments across the shoreline, just like the Citadel of San Sebastian with its lovely promenade stretching into the ocean, and Castillo de Santa Catalina, ruins of an previous fortress with beautiful views throughout.
You possibly can drive to Cadiz fairly simply from Seville (about 1.5 hrs), or take an area practice which is able to get you there in 1 hour and 45 minutes.
2. Jerez de la Frontera
Jerez de la Frontera is a ravishing conventional Andalusian village, about midway between Seville and Cadiz. In case you want a brief and fast journey out of the town, to see one of many prettiest white villages, Jerez is a superb possibility for a day journey.
Recognized primarily for its sherry manufacturing custom (a part of the Sherry Triangle), Jerez could also be a small place, however there’s a lot to be found, and all the things may be seen in simply someday.
One of many highlights of the journey could be visiting the native Alcazar, a Moorish fortress from the eleventh century, adopted by a go to an area taverna to see a Flamenco efficiency. There’s additionally a devoted museum for sherry manufacturing known as Bodega Custom, and Jerez Cathedral can be price a go to.
To get to Jerez, you possibly can simply drive there from Seville, or take the practice in route of Cadiz, which ought to take round 1 hour.
Tarifa is the southern sizzling spot for water sports activities and delightful seashores. In distinction to many of the coastal locations in Southern Spain, in Tarifa, you’ll discover extra pure, pristine seashores that supply a way more enjoyable option to take pleasure in some sunbathing and swimming within the sea.
Tarifa is a well-liked resort for windsurfers and kitesurfers, and in addition for individuals who love to observe lovely sunsets. In Tarifa, there are additionally numerous firms providing whale-watching and dolphin-watching boat journeys on prime of ferry crossings to Morocco, a rustic with plenty of issues to do you can additionally add to your itinerary.
In any case, and going again to Tarifa, whereas the city itself nonetheless very a lot seems like an previous village that hasn’t been too touched by mass tourism, it’s a breath of recent air to have the ability to nonetheless discover a little bit of genuine Spain even on the shoreline.
Whilst you’re staying in Seville, it will be a disgrace to overlook out on the expertise of visiting Gibraltar, the British sovereign territory south of Seville. Listed below are some very attention-grabbing Gibraltar details to know earlier than you go.
From Seville, your greatest guess is to drive there by automobile as there are not any native connections that may get you on to Gibraltar. Give your self loads of time because the crossing of the border and the safety checks can take fairly a very long time – alternatively, you possibly can park the automobile on the Spanish aspect on the city of La Linea, and use the a lot quicker pedestrian crossing (I’d advocate this feature).
Whereas in Gibraltar, guide a tour of the character reserve to take pleasure in some fairly spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea, and on a transparent day you possibly can see the African continent – Morocco – within the distance. You too can stroll to the previous city and the excessive road to take pleasure in some duty-free buying.
Granada is without doubt one of the three cities that kind the Andalusian golden triangle (along with Seville and Cordoba), and it’s one to not be missed.
The crowning glory of Granada is the traditional Moorish palace complicated known as Alhambra, with the Palace of Charles V, ruins of the previous Alcazaba, and beautiful properly preserved Generalife Gardens as a part of it.
Whereas Granada’s Alhambra is a reasonably spectacular place to go to, the sights don’t finish there. The previous a part of the city known as Albaicin is a ravishing genuine place to find, and you can too stroll to the district of Sacromonte, identified for its cave homes and Flamenco performances. Proper up within the hill above Sacromonte, you’ll discover Sacromonte abbey with lovely views, and the one underground cave church I’ve ever seen.
Granada needs to be considered one of my favourite Andalusian cities to go to and also you received’t remorse including it to your day journey locations wishlist. There’s a common practice service from Seville to Granada (2 hours 20 minutes), however you can too drive there most likely quicker with a automobile.
Ronda is a type of locations which you can’t cease speaking about. An historic metropolis divided in half by the El Tajo gorge, with the historic Puente Nuevo bridge towering over it, Ronda is a real magnificence that also feels very genuine Spanish.
Ronda has one of many oldest bullrings in Spain, and the historical past of bullfighting is seen in practically each restaurant you go to, with bull heads hanging over you when you take pleasure in your tapas.
Ernest Hemingway was an enormous fan of Ronda and spent numerous time right here, amongst many different authors.
Ronda is the right one-day journey vacation spot as you possibly can squeeze all of its highlights right into a single journey – visiting Puente Nuevo bridge, the gardens that stretch proper behind it resulting in the previous Roman Baths, the Bullring, and you probably have time, I extremely advocate a go to of an previous villa known as Casa don Bosco, from the place you get a few of the greatest views of Puente Nuevo.
Due to its location, Ronda is greatest reached by automobile.
Cordoba is house to one of the crucial spectacular cathedrals in Southern Spain – the Mezquita Cathedral. What was an Islamic mosque was later transformed right into a catholic Cathedral, which resulted within the distinctive architectural piece of labor it’s right now.
The doorway to the cathedral is thru a ravishing courtyard coated by orange bushes, and identical to with different historic monuments, the tickets is probably not accessible on the day, so get them early earlier than your journey. Whereas in Cordoba, you can too squeeze in a go to to the Alcazar (full identify Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos), with beautiful gardens and delightful water options.
To get to Cordoba, you possibly can simply drive there from Seville, however there may be additionally a quick practice connection accessible with low-cost practice tickets.
A Few Additional Ideas
Earlier than I allow you to off planning your journey, listed here are a number of suggestions that may make your journey far more fulfilling:
- In case you’re planning to go to a few of the common historic websites like Alhambra in Granada, it’s properly price reserving your tickets on-line upfront. Particularly, Alhambra tickets are likely to promote out weeks upfront, so that you could be dissatisfied for those who arrive considering you may get them on the gates
- In case you’re touring in the summertime, it will get tremendous sizzling in Andalusia. Plan your journey accordingly and attempt to spend the most popular time of the day commuting to your vacation spot as a substitute of climbing steep stairs on some historic monument.
- In case you’re planning to make use of the practice on your day journey, the identical as above applies – practice ticket costs fluctuate relying on the day and season, so you’ll avoid wasting cash for those who guide them upfront. And also you’re additionally eliminating the prospect that the practice you wished to take might be totally booked.
- Driving in Southern Spain is fairly straightforward, however there are some street tolls you will have to pay, they’re at all times marked. You should utilize a Spanish street toll calculator similar to By way of Michelin the place you enter your journey and it’ll inform you the price of the tolls (normally just some euros).
I hope you loved a number of lovely locations inside straightforward attain from Seville. Tell us within the feedback which of them are your favourite and which of them are you probably including to your journey itinerary.
Lucia is a Slovak expat residing in Southern Spain. On her weblog Viva la Vita, she shares her insights about lovely places, hidden gems, and genuine experiences from Costa del Sol and past.
Leave a Reply