Drumheller simply stands out as the coolest place to go to in Alberta. Most individuals make a beeline to the Canadian Rockies in Banff or Jasper, however the Canadian badlands are to not be missed. The city of Drumheller makes for a fantastic base to discover a few of Alberta’s quirkiest and most wonderful sights. So let’s discover the dinosaur capital of the world and take a look at all of the cool issues to do in Drumheller.
The Exceptional Panorama of Drumheller
Drumheller is a small city 90 minutes east of Calgary. It will possibly simply be performed on a day journey from Calgary, however to actually expertise the entire wonderful issues to see and do close to Drumheller, you want not less than 3 days. We have now created this journey information to encourage you to spend a while in Drumheller and discover extra of Alberta outdoors the Canadian Rockies.
When you plan to go to Drumheller, you will have a automobile. We have now this stretch of street as among the best drive in Canada. You possibly can choose up vehicles immediately on the Calgary Airport. Verify charges for automobile leases in Alberta right here.
Issues to do in Drumheller
An outdated coal-mining city that’s residence to the richest dinosaur fossil assortment on the planet, Drumheller presents loads of actions for outside fans, historical past buffs, and images lovers. The encompassing Drumheller space is simply as fascinating because the gorgeous Canadian Rockies, so let’s get began and take a look at what to do in Drumheller and past!
The Dinosaur Path in Drumheller, Alberta, presents a fascinating journey by means of the guts of Canada’s dinosaur nation, unveiling the distinctive landscapes and prehistoric heritage of the area. Winding by means of the dramatic badlands and rolling hills, this scenic route options an array of notable sights, together with the famend Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology, which homes one of many world’s largest shows of dinosaur fossils.
The Path is split into the North Dinosaur Path and the South Dinosaur Path and we’ll break this journey information into totally different components to deal with every. However when visiting Drumheller you must be sure to see all of it.
South Dinosaur Path
1. Hoodoos of Drumheller
The Hoodoos are the star attraction of Drumheller. They’re a cluster of skinny rock spires with a dense rock cap sitting on high. The cap protects the spires from fully eroding away. They’re smaller than you’d count on as just a little cluster on the aspect of a hill, however they’re superior. The hoodoos are positioned simply off the aspect of the street a brief stroll from the parking zone, however they’re fascinating.
In case you are up for just a little mild mountaineering, you’ll be able to climb to the highest of the hill to miss the hoodoos.
Product of sandstone, they fashioned over a whole bunch of years of abrasion. These fairytale chimneys are very delicate and two to 4 ft each 100 years. Many individuals solely keep on the hoodoos for a couple of minutes taking within the tiny cluster of pillars sitting on the aspect of the street. However take your time to see them from all angles and ensure to hike as much as the excessive lookout. Examine our expertise right here.
2. Atlas Coal Mine Nationwide Historic Web site
The Atlas Coal Mine Nationwide Historic Web site is what this space was constructed round on the flip of the twentieth century. Working from 1936 to 1970 the Atlas Coal Mine produced coal to energy steam engines for CN and CP rail heading to the prairies. It’s thought-about Canada’s best-preserved full coal mine and guests can tour the mine and may climb the final wood tipple in Canada.
You are able to do a self-guided tour of the grounds, however to entry the underground and tipple you’ll need to take a guided tour. You will notice And that’s the place all of the cool stuff is! The Tipple was used to move coal to the practice vehicles and also you’ll be taking a visit by means of the underground tunnels.
- Admission is Adults: $14.00 Youth/Senior: $11.00 (Self-guided)
- The place to Keep in Drumheller: In case you are in search of lodging in Drumheller, we advocate Heartwood Inn and Spa. There’s a evaluation on the backside of this put up.
3. East Coulee College Museum
If you wish to pop right into a museum to study a bit extra about life within the coal mining days. The East Coulee College Museum is a ghost city set in an outdated schoolhouse that focuses on life at residence for the households of the miners from 1930 – 1971.
It serves as each a commemorative institution and an academic middle, aiming to protect and depict the historical past and heritage of the East Coulee space and its individuals, significantly specializing in the lifetime of coal miners and their households. When you cease in for a go to you will notice the historic faculty constructing and expertise what it was like within the classroom and there’s a coal mining exhibit, artifacts, and pictures.
4. Final Probability Saloon
It could be the primary cease in your drive south from Drumheller, however we recommend stopping right here in your approach again, it’s a fantastic place for lunch or dinner. The Final Probability Saloon is among the coolest locations to eat in Alberta! To get there, you’ll want to detour off Freeway 10 to Freeway 10x and drive west.
After crossing 11 bridges zigzagging over the Purple Deer River, you arrive on the Final Probability Saloon. This was a wild west kind of saloon the place coal miners spent their paycheck on the weekends and lots of a brawl broke out. They’ve made positive to depart bullet holes on the partitions to point out the rowdy heritage. You’ll positively wish to stroll by means of and peruse the pictures and memorabilia. It’s a dwelling museum!
The Final Probability Saloon, is positioned within the ghost city of Wayne positioned 14km southeast of Drumheller. This was the guts of the mining trade the place as soon as 3000 individuals lived within the city, and 10,000 lived within the surrounding communities.
The 11 one-lane bridges are well worth the drive alone, they’re within the Guinness Guide of World Data as probably the most bridges positioned within the shortest distance. (Guinness will measure something!) The one construction left standing at present is the Rosedeer Lodge which is related to the Final Probability Saloon. Examine our full street journey at The Cowboy Path – A Southern Alberta Highway Journey
6. Star Mine Suspension Bridge
Notice: The Rosedale Suspension bridge is completely closed however we thought we’d go away in just a little bit in regards to the historical past.
Constructed in 1931 the Star Mine Suspension Bridge, (aka Rossdale Suspension Bridge) is a bridge spanning the Purple Deer River which you can stroll throughout. This 117-meter-long suspension bridge was created to offer coal miners from the Rosedale group entry to the Atlas Coal Mine. Earlier than that, they rowed throughout the river.
7. North Dinosaur Path Drumheller
The North Path takes you on a loop north of Drumheller alongside Hwy 837 and 838. There’s a lot to see on this 48 km loop. Heading out of Drumheller the path will lead you alongside the north aspect of the Purple Deer River. This route presents lovely views of the badlands, the Little Church, and the Bleriot Ferry crossing.
Be certain to take your time to go for hikes and benefit from the viewpoints. The entire attraction of this a part of Alberta is experiencing the awe-inspiring surroundings.
One other nice Alberta Highway journey is the Icefields Parkway. Test it out right here.
8. World’s Largest Dinosaur
Canadians love roadside sights, and it’s becoming that the dinosaur capital of the world shows the world’s largest Dinosaur. The construction is a mannequin Tyrannosaurus rex that stands roughly 86 ft (26 meters) tall and 151 ft (46 meters) lengthy, making it practically 4 instances bigger than an actual T. rex would have been.
Throughout the Avenue is Rotary Spray Park which is a well-liked vacation spot for households, particularly through the hotter months. The park presents a wide range of actions and amenities to maintain guests of all ages entertained. The park options a big spray pad with numerous water options, fountains, and spray nozzles that kids can run by means of and play in. It’s an effective way to chill off on a scorching day.
10. Hoodoo Path
The hoodoos of Drumheller are the complete cause we wished to go to Drumheller in Alberta. So beginning on the Hoodoo Path is our primary factor to do. From Drumheller, begin driving south alongside Freeway 56 to freeway 10 following the Purple Deer River. A lot of the route is positioned in Midland Provincial Park which presents loads of pull-offs and picnic stops. The Hoodoo Path is an out-and-back route totaling solely 50km. (23.5 km every approach) Learn extra: The Hoodoos of Drumheller
We advise going on to the Hoodoos within the morning earlier than they get too busy after which take your time exploring the remainder of the path. Learn extra of our southern Alberta Highway Journey right here.
11. Royal Tyrrell Museum
We aren’t ones to gush over museums, however the Royal Tyrrell Museum is wonderful! 75 million years in the past, dinosaurs roamed this land they usually left their mark throughout Drumheller. The Royal Tyrell Museum is the perfect dinosaur museum on the planet displaying the finds which were found all through Drumheller and the Badlands. In contrast to most museums world wide the place dinosaur skeletons are faux, the Royal Tyrell sows actual dinosaur bones.
Plus, The Royal Tyrell Museum has the best-preserved genuine T-Rex skulls on the planet and there are precise Paleontologists engaged on bones. You possibly can method them to speak to them, and there are others working behind glass displaying you what’s concerned in excavations.
12. Badlands Interpretive Path
While you’re on the Royal Tyrrell Museum, take a stroll alongside the Badlands Interpretive Path positioned in Midland Provincial Park.
When you arrive on the park, you’ll be able to comply with the indicators to find the place to begin of the Badlands Interpretive Path. The path presents a possibility to study in regards to the geology, paleontology, and ecology of the Canadian Badlands.
13. Horsethief Canyon
The primary viewpoint you will notice alongside this drive is Horsethief Canyon. It’s the basic Alberta Badlands web site and what a sight to behold! Horsethief Canyon received its title from cowboy outlaws hiding stolen horses within the 1800s. When trying on the canyon beneath, you’ll be able to see the way it made for a fantastic hiding place!
You possibly can really see the layers of time etched within the canyon partitions. There are platforms to absorb the scenic views and you may go mountaineering. I extremely advocate mountaineering by means of the badlands. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime alternative. Simply you should definitely carry loads of water, it will get scorching!
14. Little Church
As we stated above, Canadians love a street aspect attraction and the Little Church of Drumheller is certainly that! In-built 1968 as a spot for meditation and worship. It’s also a vacationer attraction in Drumheller attracting 10,000 individuals six at a time. It seats six individuals and nonetheless operates as a marriage chapel and holding companies. How cool would it not be to get married right here?
15. Bleriot Ferry
Cross the Purple Deer River by utilizing the Bleriot Ferry. It’s free and it’s all the time cool to take a ferry. Working day by day from 8 am to 11 pm from Might by means of September, this little ferry crossing has been in operation since 1913. It’s the oldest cable ferry in North America! And the ferry is free!
16. Orkney Viewpoint
When you cross the river, you are actually on the way in which again alongside the Dinosaur Path and the Orkney Viewpoint presents lovely views of the Purple Deer River Valley. Positioned on excessive purple rock cliffs, it’s the quintessential Alberta view.
17. Horseshoe Canyon
When driving from Calgary this would be the first cease you see in your strategy to Drumheller. Or if you’re us, the final cease you see in your approach out. However it could actually completely be performed on the Dinosaur Path. Horseshoe Canyon has a 3.9 kilometer loop path for higher views of its coulees and hoodoos and the abundance of wildflowers that develop within the canyons. Remember, it could actually get extremely popular within the Alberta Badlands, so all the time carry water.
18. Dinosaur Provincial Park
After spending a few days in Drumheller exploring the Dinosaur Path and the Hoodoo Path, make your strategy to Dinosaur Provincial Park to actually dig into the dinosaur tradition.
19. Centrosaurus Quarry Hike
Positioned within the coronary heart of the Alberta Badlands, this UNESCO World Heritage Web site is residence to the richest assortment of dinosaur fossils on earth. You possibly can take a tour out to The Centrosaurus Quarry to see precise dinosaur fossils. As soon as you understand what you’re in search of (which you study on this guided hike) they’re all over the place. A lot of the park is off-limits as it’s nonetheless a working excavation web site, however there are a couple of tour alternatives.
We actually loved our hike, however we additionally took a sundown tour by bus taking us out to all of the wonderful lookouts seeking its wealthy deposits of dinosaur bones. Dinosaur Provincial Park deserves a few days to discover. Learn all about it right here.
When to Go to Drumheller
When visiting the Drumheller space there are some things to consider. We have now damaged down the perfect time to go to.
- Late Spring (Might to June):
- The climate begins to heat up, and the panorama comes alive with blooming wildflowers.
- Out of doors sights and trails are open for exploration.
- There is perhaps fewer crowds in comparison with the height summer time months.
- Summer season (July to August):
- That is the height vacationer season in Drumheller, with heat temperatures and lengthy days.
- Most occasions, festivals, and outside actions are scheduled throughout these months.
- Fashionable sights just like the Royal Tyrrell Museum and the World’s Largest Dinosaur may be busy, so plan accordingly.
- Early Fall (September):
- The climate stays nice, however the crowds begin to diminish.
- The panorama options lovely fall colours, and outside actions are nonetheless satisfying.
Issues to Contemplate:
- Climate: The climate in Drumheller may be fairly variable, so it’s smart to test the forecast and are available ready with layers, solar safety, and applicable footwear.
- Crowds: When you desire a quieter expertise, take into account visiting through the shoulder seasons (late spring or early fall) to keep away from peak crowds.
- Points of interest Availability: Whereas summer time presents probably the most accessibility to sights, some websites and actions stay open within the low season, providing a unique expertise.
- Occasions: Verify the native occasion calendar for festivals, exhibitions, or different happenings throughout your go to.
No matter if you go to, Drumheller presents a singular and enriching expertise with its fascinating dinosaur heritage, placing badlands panorama, and a wide range of indoor and outside actions.
Drumheller Itinerary in Two Days
That can assist you plan a visit to Drumheller, we put collectively a simple downtown Drumheller Itinerary in two days. Get pleasure from!
Day 1: Exploring Prehistoric Wonders
Morning: Royal Tyrrell Museum
- Time: 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
- Exercise: Start your Drumheller journey on the Royal Tyrrell Museum. Discover the fascinating reveals showcasing Canada’s prehistoric previous, that includes one of many world’s largest shows of dinosaurs.
- Ideas: Arrive early to keep away from crowds. Don’t neglect to take a look at the museum’s rotating particular reveals!
Lunch: Bernie and the Boys Bistro
- Time: 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Exercise: Get pleasure from a hearty meal at this native favourite, identified for its mammoth-sized burgers and milkshakes.
- Location: 305 4 St W, Drumheller, AB T0J 0X0, Canada
Afternoon: Drumheller’s Big Dinosaur & Fossil World
- Time: 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM
- Exercise: Climb contained in the World’s Largest Dinosaur and benefit from the panoramic views of Drumheller. Afterward, head to Fossil World Dinosaur Discovery Middle for interactive reveals and fossil digging actions.
- Ideas: The climb contained in the Big Dinosaur includes stairs, so put on comfy footwear!
Dinner: Elegant Meals and Wine
- Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Exercise: Bask in a advantageous eating expertise at Elegant Meals and Wine, having fun with locally-sourced dishes in a comfy ambiance.
- Location: 109 Centre St, Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y0, Canada
Night: Drumheller Valley Lookout
- Time: 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM
- Exercise: Finish your day by watching the sundown over the gorgeous landscapes of the Drumheller Valley from one of many scenic lookouts.
- Ideas: Deliver a lightweight jacket, as it could actually get chilly within the night.
Day 2: Journey & Scenic Magnificence
Morning: Horsethief Canyon & Bleriot Ferry
- Time: 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Exercise: Begin with the picturesque Horsethief Canyon, adopted by a experience on the historic Bleriot Ferry throughout the Purple Deer River.
- Ideas: Put on sturdy footwear for mountaineering and convey your digital camera for some lovely panorama pictures!
Lunch: WHIFS Flapjack Home
- Time: 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- Exercise: Savor some scrumptious pancakes and different hearty breakfast fare at this native gem.
- Location: 680 2 St E, Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y0, Canada
Afternoon: Horseshoe Canyon & ATV Journey
- Time: 1:30 PM – 5:00 PM
- Exercise: Discover the breathtaking landscapes of Horseshoe Canyon. Contemplate reserving an ATV tour for an exhilarating experience by means of the canyons.
- Ideas: Gown appropriately for outside actions and convey water to remain hydrated.
Dinner: Yavis Household Restaurant
- Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Exercise: Conclude your adventure-filled day with a soothing meal at Yavis Household Restaurant, an area institution providing a various menu.
- Location: 1102 AB-9, Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y3, Canada
Night: Ghost Stroll Tour
- Time: 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM
- Exercise: If accessible, be a part of an area ghost stroll tour to discover the eerie and mysterious aspect of Drumheller, studying about native legends and folklore.
- Ideas: Put on comfy strolling footwear and convey a flashlight.
This two-day itinerary presents a mixture of journey, historical past, and pure magnificence, showcasing the distinctive attraction of Drumheller, Alberta. Be certain to test the provision of actions and opening hours of venues prematurely, as they will range relying on the time of 12 months. Secure travels!
The place to Keep in Drumheller
Heartwood Inn and Spa is a well-liked selection in Drumheller. We stayed right here and liked it! Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson stayed right here through the filming of Shanghai Midday. If it’s adequate for them it’s adequate for Dave and Deb! It’s a fantastic inn with elegant rooms and pleasant house owners. It’s the kind of place that takes an curiosity in what you see and do and offers wonderful recommendation.
We particularly loved their well-known French Toast within the morning. It’s the one factor they serve for breakfast. Because the proprietor stated to us “I do one factor and one factor very effectively.” Yum!
Different Locations to Keep in Drumheller
Cactus Coulee Enjoyable Park & RV Resort is a good place to remain in Drumheller with children. Even if you’re not staying at Cactus Coulee Enjoyable Park & RV Resort, you’ll be able to go to for the day and benefit from the sights like go-karting, mini golf and EuroBungy
Horseshoe Canyon Campground is one other great spot to stick with tenting, cabins, and RV hook-up.
Dinosaur Provincial Park has tenting as effectively. Learn: Dinosaur Provincial Park – Glamping Tour within the Alberta Badlands
And these are the highest sights close to Drumheller. Have you ever been to the Alberta Badlands? The place is your favourite place to go to in Alberta?