Welcome to the most important metropolis in Bavaria and the third greatest metropolis in Germany! Munich is a phenomenal metropolis stuffed with grand squares, outdated, majestic buildings with orange roofs and cobbled streets that lead you to one thing new to discover each time. This metropolis all the time buzzes with life and tradition, and the individuals of Munich are tremendous pleasant and down-to-earth, which is a welcome feat in a metropolis this dimension. And Munich in winter is a superb cold-weather vacation spot!
The Christmas markets unfold everywhere in the metropolis are among the greatest on this planet. Sure, it may well get very chilly, however there’s all the time a heat and comfortable beer corridor across the nook with plenty of Bavarian meals and beer…and beer…and beer…and beer (*swap off echo*).
Listed below are 14 magical issues to do in Munich in winter. Warning: these actions could contain beer!
Psst: Planning a European winter journey? Listed below are another posts that can assist you out:
READ THIS POST
Two Tremendous Detailed Winter Europe Itineraries (for Two Weeks)
Oh hey, guess what? We’ve created a printable e-book model of our Winter Europe Itineraries fo’ free! It’s a stable 30 pages of journey suggestions, printable packing lists, and all of the itinerary particulars you have to plan a Europe in winter journey. Join beneath & we’ll ship it straight to your inbox:
How chilly does it get in Munich?
F*cking chilly! I’m not kidding! It’s not like going to the North Pole, however by some means I by no means consider Germany as being that chilly in winter. It all the time catches me without warning and I find yourself shopping for heat layers that I might’ve simply packed at house (In all probability says extra about myself than the climate.)
Common winter temperatures vary between 27ºF and 39ºF. See, that’s not too chilly, proper? That is the place I am going mistaken. Someway it all the time feels colder in Germany! Have to be the wind chill issue or the mountains or location or stuff like that (I might be such a great climate man!). It usually snows in Munich in winter too. Come ready!
How do I get round Munich in winter?
The Outdated City of Munich may be very walkable, however I don’t blame you if you wish to use public transport to discover the remaining. Keep in mind, it’s very chilly! Fortunately public transport is clear, heat, all over the place and just about all the time on time.
There are 4 modes of public transport within the metropolis of Munich:
- S-Bahn – Brief for Strassenbahn, that is the community of native trains that journey between stations inside the metropolis. There are eight traces. The S1 and S8 take you from the airport into the town middle.
- U-Bahn – Brief for Untergrundbahn, or underground. There are eight underground traces that run between stations in and across the metropolis. There are round 100 stations, so you may get to just about anyplace shortly.
- Buses – You will get buses to journey across the metropolis and see one thing on the similar time. There are night time buses, for when the U-Bahn and S-Bahn are closed and also you miraculously obtained caught in a beer corridor (beer tasting for scientific causes, huh?).
- Trams – Much like buses, the trams join the routes between the U-Bahn and S-Bahn. There are night time trams too.
Do I want to talk German?
Not essentially. Most individuals in Munich converse English, so you’ll be fantastic. I all the time assume it’s good to be taught a number of German phrases although. Locals admire it! Right here’s some helpful vocabulary:
- Hallo – Good day
- Guten Morgen/Tag/Abend – Good morning/day/night
- Bitte – Please
- Danke – Thanks
- Entschuldigung – Sorry
- Ja – Sure
- Nein – No
- Ich hätte gerne zehn Biere bitte! – I’d like 10 beers please!
READ THIS POST
23 Charming Issues to Do in Switzerland in Winter
Issues to do in Munich in Winter
Now you’re ready to journey to Bavaria, don’t overlook to take a look at these 14 superb issues to do in Munich in winter.
Go to the Christmas markets
All of us love a Christmas market, proper? Properly, so do the individuals of Munich! In December you’ll discover greater than 20 Christmas markets everywhere in the metropolis. The biggest and most well-known is the Christkindlmarkt on Marienplatz, considered one of Munich’s well-known squares. The historical past of the Christkindlmarkt dates again to the 14th century, albeit below completely different names and places. (Yeah, does that also depend then? Both approach, it’s very outdated!)
You possibly can’t miss this Christmas market. An 80 ft Christmas tree towers above the quite a few stalls with conventional wood Christmas decorations, handmade German Christmas playing cards, mulled wine (that is the place I got here throughout white mulled wine for the primary time, and the second time, and the third time…), adorned lebkuchen (gingerbread) in all sizes, and meals. Oh, the meals!
Extra about Bavarian meals later, however one can find so many conventional Christmas meals that you could’t strive all of them. The meals is usually filling, so include an urge for food. Ones it is best to undoubtedly strive at a Christmas market are:
- Stollen – German stollen are dense loaves of bread, with dried fruit and nuts. You should purchase slices of them, typically lined with powdered sugar, or purchase a complete loaf to take house. A few of them have almond paste in them, which is superb!
- Schneeballen – This interprets as snowballs. They’re ball-shaped pastries lined in sugar. You could find them with all kinds of toppings. Lined in chocolate, nuts or cinnamon, to call a number of. (Simply please, please don’t eat yellow snowballs!)
- Lebkuchen – These conventional gingerbread cookies, superbly adorned by hand, are scrumptious! They’re not just like the crunchy ones we all know. Lebkuchen are thicker and have a chewiness that makes you come again for extra!
A number of the greatest Christmas markets in Munich are:
- Christkindlmarkt – The most important, oldest and most well-known. It’s on Marienplatz from the top of November till Christmas.
- Kripperlmarkt – The “Crib Market” is a Christmas Market the place you should purchase something to make your personal nativity scene. Or purchase a whole, handmade one! From the top of November till Christmas, in entrance of St. Peter’s church, a stone’s throw from Marienplatz.
- Sternenplatzl am Rindermarkt – The polar reverse of Christkindlmarkt when it comes to dimension. It is a small market, however stuffed with ambiance. The 40 ft Schlemmerpyramide is the middle of the market. It’s a spinning tower with collectible figurines, that appears prefer it jumped straight out of a Christmas fairytale.
Journey the Christmas tram
Expertise Christmas on the transfer! The Christkindlt Tram is a particular Christmas tram that you could journey. It departs from Sendlinger Tor – which is a shocking outdated metropolis gate – and takes you across the outdated city with its Christmas lights and decorations. If it snows, this journey is even higher! It’s like driving via an enormous wintery snow globe! (With out the water in fact, as a result of that may make this tram journey a merciless expertise! Nobody is shaking you both. Don’t fear!)
The tram journey takes about half an hour and takes you again to Sendlinger Tor. Undoubtedly an expertise I can suggest. The ambiance is nice contained in the tram, with music and Christmas lights. Oh, I forgot one of the best factor about it…you’re allowed to convey your mug of mulled wine on board!
This tram journey is extraordinarily standard and it solely prices a number of Euros, so anticipate to queue for a bit. It leaves each half-hour and runs between the top of November and Christmas. Purchase your ticket once you get on the tram.
Attempt among the greatest winter-warming Bavarian meals
Each time I eat German meals, and particularly Bavarian meals, I can’t assist however assume it’s simply good for both actually chilly days, or to go together with ingesting huge quantities of beer (A conventional Bavarian breakfast is veal sausage with mustard and a beer, as a hangover treatment. Want I say extra?). Bavarian meals is usually meaty, stuffed with carbs, or each. Regardless of which conventional meals you tuck into in Munich in winter, it is going to fill you up and hold you heat. It’s the type of meals you have to lie down after! (Or perhaps I’m simply extremely lazy). Both approach, it’s very tasty and satisfying!
5 Bavarian meals it’s essential to strive in Munich in winter:
- Münchner Weisswurst – This pale veal and pork sausage with scrumptious herbs is the delight of Munich. You realize German Bratwurst, proper? For my part, a weisswurst with a little bit of candy mustard is even higher! You eat them from the grill, on a roll or by itself. Attempt a Bavarian breakfast – Weisswurst boiled in salty water, with a little bit of mustard and a pretzel (and a beer, significantly!). I attempted one of the best weisswurst at Gaststätte Großmarkthalle.
- Leberkäse – This interprets to liver cheese (nonetheless feeling okay?). The humorous factor is that there’s no cheese on this concoction. No liver both. (Sure, I used to be as puzzled as you at the moment are.) Simply strive it! It’s mainly a meatloaf made with various kinds of meat. It’s usually served sliced on a semmelbrötchen (crusty roll) and completely scrumptious. Zum Franziskaner on Opernplatz has among the best leberkäse I’ve tried!
- Spätzle – Munich’s model of mac and cheese! Spätzle are noodles produced from egg, flour and salt. They don’t should relaxation, like pasta, so that they make them contemporary and cook dinner them. They’re served with a powerful cheese sauce, herbs and fried onion and are a preferred staple in Munich in winter. Zum Brunnstein serves cheese spätzle with mushrooms and schnitzel like no different!
- Pretzel – You realize the bow-shaped little crunchy snacks you get known as pretzels? The standard pretzels from Munich sh*t throughout these dry salty issues. Bavarian pretzels are large, like the dimensions of a plate. They’re encrusted with rock salt, crunchy on the surface and smooth and chewy on the within. I’ll have one any day, and so do the individuals of Munich! You could find them anyplace, usually freshly baked.
- Obazda – Oh-what-da? Obazda is a Bavarian cheese unfold that goes extremely properly with pretzels. I used to love pretzels on their very own, till I attempted this! Obazda is made by mixing two-thirds of sturdy cheese – like camembert – with one-third of butter. It’s then spiced with scorching paprika powder, salt and pepper…and beer (You’ve obtained to like German beer tradition!). Eat the unfold with pretzels and a beer on the aspect. You possibly can order it in most Bavarian eating places.
READ THIS POST
10 Magical Issues to do in Bremen, Germany in Winter
Have a beer or two on the Hofbräuhaus
You will have discovered by now that folks in Munich like beer. Residence of the world-famous Oktoberfest, this metropolis has beer working via its veins. In style native breweries are Paulaner, Augustiner, Löwenbrau and Hofbrau. Guess which one is served on the Hofbräuhaus? The Hofbräuhaus is a well-known beer corridor come restaurant like you’ll solely discover in Munich.
Large beer halls downstairs, smaller rooms upstairs, all with a wood inside. It’s so heat and comfortable in winter. The massive halls nearly really feel like a medieval feast. Lengthy tables, complete roasted chickens and pork knuckles, liter-glasses of beer. The primary time I walked in right here I noticed an older woman mendacity on the ground who very clearly had approach an excessive amount of beer! Fairly wild!
If that is all a bit too wild for you, I might reserve a desk in one of many smaller rooms upstairs, the place it feels far more like being in a restaurant. If you’d like an Oktoberfest-like expertise, put in your lederhosen or dirndl and go to the halls! You may also e book a tour of the Hofbräuhaus, to dive deeper into the historical past of the beer corridor and beer making, and luxuriate in a beer with it!
Have a Go at Curling on a Frozen Canal
A weighted stone, a goal, utmost focus, a superbly measured glide, launch…and other people with brooms sweeping the ice in entrance of the stone. Relating to sports activities, it doesn’t get extra thrilling than this, proper? (Sarcasm mode OFF) Okay, curling won’t be probably the most thrilling factor on this planet, however have you ever ever tried it? Didn’t assume so! Life is all about new experiences, so give it a shot.
Curling in Munich in winter is definitely actually thrilling! It’s all in regards to the location. The Schlossgartenkanal, a big canal that runs round and comes off Nymphenburg Palace, isn’t very deep. This implies it usually freezes over in winter! As soon as it does, the information spreads shortly round Munich and other people leap on the alternative to play on the straight, 1/2 mile lengthy ice rink.
The frozen canal is used for strolling, ice skating and ice hockey too, however curling is hottest. Rent a curling stone, seize a scorching mug of mulled wine and have a sport on one of many 40 pop-up curling lanes!
READ THIS POST
23 Photographs Proving that Hallstatt, Austria in Winter is a Fairytale
Heat Up in a Spa
Munich in winter might be bitter chilly, so chilling in a scorching sauna is a superb concept! Town provides some nice services at an excellent higher value. Pampering your self in a spa and sauna is often fairly costly, however not in Munich. There are two huge complexes within the metropolis, known as Nordbad (North Pool) and Südbad (South Pool, that are each run by the town council (and each named by the identical artistic genius). Each Nordbad and Südbad mix inexpensive public swimming swimming pools with superb saunas and aromatherapy rooms.
The saunas and heated indoor and outside swimming swimming pools -some with views of the city- are a intelligent option to really feel heat and relaxed on the similar time. All you have to pay for is $7.00 for a single entry that offers you entry to all services. Please be aware that you’re anticipated to be bare in saunas in Germany. Don’t fear, it is going to solely really feel unusual for five minutes, then you definately’re used to it. (Simply please, don’t leap into the swimming pool bare.)
The very best saunas in Munich are:
- Nordbad – For over 80 years, Nordbad has been the place to go for a swim or sauna session for the local people of Munich. Swim exterior whereas the snow falls in your hair (or head, in case you don’t have hair).
- Südbad – The youthful sister of Nordbad. Südbad doesn’t really feel as grand as Nordbad, however it offers you an identical expertise in a calmer and smaller package deal. I like the indoor pool’s glass wall, so it feels such as you’re exterior (however with out a freezing chilly head).
- Müller’sches Volksbad – This one’s particular. I used to be amazed by the Artwork Nouveau constructing, which is over 100 years outdated. The Volksbad is a baroque expertise, with two swimming pools, a Finnish sauna, steam room and a Roman-Irish sweat bathtub (They may need to rename this one! So many questions!)
Get a birds-eye view of Munich in winter
In case you might teleport straight into Munich and stroll across the metropolis, you wouldn’t have any concept in regards to the stunning environment of this metropolis. You don’t actually see the Alps once you’re within the metropolis, however they’re proper there. To see them, you have to go up. Good day, Olympic Tower!
You could find this needle-like tower in Olympiapark. With 291 meters (954 ft), that is the tallest constructing in Munich. There’s a viewing platform at 181 meters (593 ft) and it takes you 4 months to climb up…No I’m joking, there’s an elevator and it takes you there in 30 seconds. That’s quick! (Method too quick for me, however I belief in German engineering).
I’ve been up right here in summer season and winter, however I feel the winter view is greatest. Particularly when the town is roofed in snow, with the white countryside within the north, and the majestic mountains of the Alps within the south. It makes you’re feeling all Christmassy and comfortable (and chilly, very chilly!). There’s a revolving restaurant below the viewing platform. A! Revolving! Restaurant! It does a 360º flip in 50 minutes. Have I already talked about that I like German engineering?
READ THIS POST
33 Magical Issues to Do in Prague in Winter
Climb up Peterskirche
If the Olympic Tower is a bit too excessive for you, or in case you simply really feel like climbing 300 wonky wood steps for the hell of it, go up St. Peter’s Church. It’s a little bit of a climb, however when you’re on the roof of the church, you’ll be handled to some spectacular metropolis views.
Trying over the standard orange roof tops, in winter you may see Marienplatz, with all of the lights from the Christmas market. It’s even higher when it snows, and the orange roofs have a white dusting on them. It offers you an concept of the structure of the town. You may also clearly see that this well-known sq. is the middle of Munich, the place individuals have been gathering because the twelfth century!
Climbing to the highest of Peterskirche solely prices a number of Euros. You possibly can solely pay in money, so hold a number of cash in your pocket for this exercise.
Have an ice bathtub within the river Isar
Have you ever ever walked previous a river on an ice-cold winter’s day pondering: “I’m wondering what it looks like to leap in proper now?” Then this exercise is for you! It entails freezing chilly water, you plunging in, and balls of metal. What it doesn’t contain, is a wetsuit to maintain you heat. At all times wished to do that? (Yeah, me neither). Have an ice bathtub within the Isar!
The individuals who manage this exercise in Munich in winter are known as Munich Sizzling Springs, and I can’t consider something extra sarcastic on this world! This ice-bathing lot will information you thru your chilly dip. It begins with some respiration workout routines and so they provides you with recommendation on easy methods to put together. Then they’ll go in with you.
Munich Sizzling Springs is a group in Munich that meets each Sunday morning in winter at 11:00, for a refreshing ice-bath. You could find extra data on their web site, the place yow will discover a telephone quantity to hitch their WhatsApp group. That is just for skilled freeze-a-holics. If it’s your first time, they are going to manage a one-on-one with you and an teacher. All you have to do is ship them an e-mail to ask about costs and appointments.
Folks have been ice-bathing for hundreds of years and it’s believed to strengthen your immune system, show you how to burn extra energy and relieve stress. I personally assume it simply makes you’re feeling f*cking chilly, however every to their very own. It should really feel superb when it’s completed!
READ THIS POST
14 Lovable Issues to do in Bruges, Belgium at Christmas
Go snowboarding on Zugspitze
Munich is a particular metropolis, because it’s situated so near the pre-Alps. This implies you may keep within the greatest metropolis within the south of Germany, and nonetheless go snowboarding for a day. So in case you’re planning on staying a bit longer in Munich with a while spare to discover exterior the town, I can actually suggest going to Zugspitze.
Zugspitze is true on the German-Austrian border and is the closest ski resort to Munich. You might be there in about two hours from the town, by prepare and cable automobile. There are literally three ski areas with their very own community of ski lifts: Zugspitze, Garmisch-Basic and Wank (I want I used to be joking!). Or Mount Wank in order for you the longer model. The cable automobile as much as Wank is known as the Wankbahn. There’s additionally a Wank Restaurant (Okay, I’ll cease now).
Zugspitze has all of the services you may anticipate from an enormous ski resort, so you may rent gear and discover eating places and bars all over the place. The views of the encompassing mountains are breathtaking. I want I might say snowboarding close to Munich in winter is wank, however that may be each a lie and a nasty joke.
Go for a winter stroll in Englischer Garten
Englischer Garten (English Backyard) is an enormous park proper within the metropolis. It’s larger than Central Park in NYC! It has two well-known landmarks. The Monopteros is a 50 ft temple on a hill. The Chinesischer Turm, is a Chinese language tower that appears like a tall pagoda. There’s additionally a Japanese tea home! As you may think about, the grassy areas round these monuments are good for picnics in summer season.
Nonetheless, I desire to go to this park in winter, when the grass and footpaths are lined in snow. The hill the Monopteros sits on, immediately turns into a downhill sled monitor. Did you not pack a sled in your suitcase? (I assumed you packed for Munich in winter! Poor effort!) I discovered a plastic bag will do the trick! There’s a small however pretty Christmas market across the Chinese language tower, which is lit up for the event.
Seize a mulled wine and go for a stroll alongside the small lake within the park. Or throughout it, because it typically freezes over in winter. Watch individuals surf within the river that flows via the park, even in winter. There’s a fast within the river, the place you may surf on the spot. A bit like a type of wave machines, however pure. Give it a strive in case you’re courageous with this tour which features a surfboard and bodysuit. (No less than in case you fall in, you may scrap the ice-bathing exercise off your checklist!).
READ THIS POST
35 Photographs of Norway within the Winter to Encourage your Wanderlust
See Munich’s Glockenspiel Present
It doesn’t matter what you’re doing in Munich in winter, be sure you’re on Marienplatz at 11:00 am or 12:00 pm to see the glockenspiel. This well-known glockenspiel is within the clock tower of the Rathaus on Marienplatz. It’s a mechanical present with bells taking part in tunes and shifting collectible figurines. The Munich glockenspiel is greater than 100 years outdated.
At 11:00 am and midday it begins taking part in 4 tunes and the collectible figurines begin shifting. The tunes change each month. In December it performs Christmas tunes, like Oh Tannenbaum. It provides an additional sprinkle of Christmas to the Christkindlmarkt.
Go to Cinderella’s fortress
Have you ever watched Cinderella? (Is there anybody who hasn’t?) Then it’s essential to know she lives in a fortress that appears a bit like – properly – Cinderella’s fortress. One other fortress that appears like Cinderella’s fortress is Neuschwanstein (or New Swan Stone). Okay, let’s cease translating German names into English because it doesn’t make any sense!
Coincidence? Probably not, as Walt Disney’s inspiration for Cinderella’s fortress was Neuschwanstein! I visited this stunning fortress in winter, when the panorama was lined in snow, and it simply seemed completely spectacular! This fortress was constructed on the ruins of Schwanstein by Ludwig II, king of Bavaria. He wished to construct a fortress on this stunning spot, within the romantic type of outdated German knights’ castles. It was completed in 1880.
Now, Neuschwanstein Citadel isn’t precisely in Munich. You’ll discover it in Schwangau, which is about two hours by prepare from Munich. I do know that’s not across the nook, however once you’re in Munich in winter and you’ve got time for a day tour, I feel you shouldn’t miss out on this one.
You possibly can e book a day tour from Munich, or get tickets for Neuschwanstein Citadel and make your approach there by prepare your self. Take the prepare from Munich to Füssen, then bus 73 or 78 to Hohenschwangau.
In case you go to Munich in February, you’re in luck! Fasching is what the individuals of Munich name their carnival. There are small, usually enclosed occasions all year long, however in February all of it culminates into huge road occasions.
There’s a huge open-air occasion known as Narrisch within the metropolis middle, with music levels on Marienplatz and Karlsplatz-Stachus. See some dance and music teams carry out right here. On Shrove Tuesday one other huge occasion takes place: the dance of the market ladies. That is on the Viktualienmarkt meals market (you may e book a connoisseur meals tour right here if that’s your factor). Usually the stalls promote fruit and greens, however for this event they promote beer, glowing wine and mulled wine.
The parade of the Damische Ritter (Foolish Knights) takes place on a Sunday in mid-February. This huge carnival parade is a procession with floats, dressed-up individuals, dance, music and (that is Munich in any case) plenty of beer and Bavarian meals! Oh Munich, what a improbable metropolis you might be!
READ THIS POST
12 Charming Issues to Do in Copenhagen in Winter
The place to Keep in Munich in Winter
Indubitably, one of the best space to remain in Munich in winter is in Altstadt, the outdated city. It’s one of the best location, since you’re proper within the coronary heart of the town, and you’ll simply stroll to the well-known sights and squares of the town (it’s additionally a really brief stumble from the beer corridor to your resort.). Staying in a major location comes at a value, though Munich inns are fairly inexpensive in comparison with most well-known European cities. Nonetheless, it’s greatest to remain simply exterior of Altstadt, which might prevent cash, plus you’re nonetheless within the metropolis centre.
Listed below are some suggestions for inns close to or in Altstadt in Munich:
- Motel One Sendlinger Tor – There are a number of of those inns in numerous places in Munich. Usually I don’t suggest chains, however these inns will not be too costly and really look nice inside, like a pleasant boutique resort. The one in Sendlinger Tor is closest to the Outdated City. Rooms begin at round $120 an evening.
- Metropolis Lodge Lux – If you wish to be proper within the metropolis centre – and I imply a stone’s throw from Marienplatz and the Hofbräuhaus beer corridor – that is good for you! It might get a bit noisy, however at the least you’re proper in the midst of it. The resort is comfy and the restaurant and bar have one of many coolest designs I’ve seen. Rooms begin at round $110 an evening.
- Lodge am Markt – Have you learnt these inns that aren’t very memorable, however the rooms are clear and cozy? Lodge am Markt at Viktualienmarkt is a type of (I imply this in a pleasant approach). It’s a resort that’s good for a metropolis journey, with out making an attempt too arduous. Location is prime, too! Costs from $100 per room per night time.
READ THIS POST
10 Issues to do in Vienna within the Winter: The Final Vienna Christmas Information
Writer Bio: David Breeker is a journey author with over 20 years expertise within the tourism & leisure trade. He lived in Switzerland for 8 years, usually hopping throughout the border to take pleasure in Munich’s Christmas markets and beer!
Which of those actions in Munich in winter do you need to do first? Tell us beneath!
Psst: Planning a European winter journey? Listed below are another posts that can assist you out:
Psst: Save this submit for afterward Pinterest!